The field of Medicine is very broad and complicated. The university systems of each country establish different pathways to train their students to become outstanding physicians or surgeons.
Australia also has a special training system for medical studies. So, if you dream of studying Medicine in Australia, you can get some useful information about the medicine study in Australia.
Duration of medicine studies in Australia
Medicine studies in Australia consist of two cycles: the Bachelor and the Postgraduate.
At the beginning, you need to spend 6 years getting a Bachelor of Medicine or Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) in an Australian medical university.
Subsequently, with the postgraduate program, you can obtain a Doctorate in Medicine and Surgery (MD&S) after 4 years of study. The first two years are dedicated to the study of Basic Sciences. Then, in the last two, internships are carried out in the different specialties, divided into 10 periods of 8 weeks each.
Requirements to study Medicine in Australia
- For the Bachelor program
Australia’s universities are considered one of the most selective in the world. Therefore, if you want to enroll in one of these universities to study Medicine, in general, the requirements will be the following:
- Secondary academic records in the scientific field, with a solid foundation in chemistry.
- Pass and get a high score on the ISAT exam. The ISAT is a 3-hour computer-based test exam. It is designed to help Australian universities select international students who wish to study any of the undergraduate and graduate courses. Most universities require this exam, except for The University of NewCastle and The University of Adelaide. Instead, they require another exam called the PQA. The PQA assesses the mental abilities, attitudes, and professional conduct of candidates for the medical profession. ISAT is run by the Australian Council for Teacher Research (ACE).
- Get a 7 on the IELTS or equivalent.
- For the Postgraduate program
To enroll in the Postgraduate program, you will need:
- Have a good score on your Bachelor’s Degree.
- The results of your aptitude test.
- Take the admission exam of the Graduate School of Medicine (GAMSAT) with a minimum score of 50 in each of the 3 sections of the exam.
- Pass an interview conducted by the university.
- Some of the universities require a CV and a letter of recommendation from the student’s previous professors.
However, the list of requirements and documents may vary from institution to institution due to the complicated nature of the Medicine curriculum. So you’d better check the requirements on the official website of your chosen school.
Medical Universities in Australia
The Australian government pays due attention to education, which explains why it is home to the best universities. Among these universities, there are 5 universities excellent in medicine.
#1 Flinders University
Flinders University is a public university in Australia. It was founded in 1966 and is located in Adelaide.
In addition, it is ranked as one of the Australian universities that spends the most money on experiments and research. Therefore, it is a perfect option and most students want to get a place in it.
#2 The University of NewCastle
The University of NewCastle is located in Callaghan, a suburb of Newcastle, New South Wales. The Faculty of Medicine of this university was founded in 1978. It is also known for its problem-solving based training system in its Medical Bachelor program.
#3 Bond University
Bond University is Australia’s first private non-profit university. It offers an academic environment that enables its students to excel and stand out.
Bond University’s School of Medicine and Health Sciences is recognized for excellence in training and research in the medical and health sciences. In addition, it offers a personalized educational experience where you will enjoy small classes and job opportunities.
#4 James Cook University
James Cook University is a leading university in the field of research in Australia. It enjoys an international seal thanks to its association with several universities and research institutions worldwide. This enables the university to offer its graduates the qualifications and skills necessary to enter the global job market.
#5 Monash University
Monash University is the second oldest university in the State of Victoria and one of the largest in Australia, in terms of student numbers. It is also widely recognized in the research field.
To find other medical universities in Australia, you can use a tool called CatEight. Its Course Finder function can assist you to find the wanted courses and schools with simple clicks.
Scholarships to study Medicine in Australia
Do you want to study Medicine in Australia and need financial help? Check out the following scholarships:
- Bond University Scholarship
Bond University offers this scholarship to those qualified students who wish to study a Master in Dietetics and Nutrition or a Master in Health Innovations.
The scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic excellence.
- The University of Melbourne Scholarships
The University of Melbourne offers more than 300 scholarships per year, available to both national, international and high-achieving students.
These are some useful information about the medicine study in Australia. They will be of great help to those who plan to study medicine in Australia.