Bohemian, or what is commonly known as boho style, is an aesthetic that embraces the exotic look. It is unconventional and flamboyant; it is worldly and eccentric. Anything and everything goes from patterned maxi dresses to feathered hats and bohemian jewellery. People donning this style get inspiration from an amalgamation of cultures and objects.
More than a look, it is a culture in its own right. It has influenced not just the world of fashion but also art and design, music and lifestyle. It is incredible how the bohemian idea has shaped a mindset and a movement towards nonconformity.
Table of Contents
When people hear the word bohemian, more often than not, they think of style and fashion. In fashion, it is distinguished in its use of different patterns and textures; it’s a mix and match of varying colours and layers like stacking bohemian jewellery over other accessories and wearing clothes with ethnic and multicultural elements.
In design, it follows the concept of maximalism, wherein it adheres to the “more is more” attitude. Like fashion, it thrives in layers of textures, patterns, and colours. Imagine combining natural elements like wood and burlap with textures like fringe and macrame. The bohemian aesthetic in design can either be as little as a sprinkle of patterns and textures or as loud and dominant as a complete transformation. There are no rules that bound what the bohemian concept can and cannot do in this world.
It is a way of life for natural wanderers to explore possibilities without being constrained by standards and rules. It is for people who live a free-spirited life that puts love, freedom, and truth above all else. It is a lifestyle of open-mindedness and acceptance.
How to Flaunt the Bohemian Style
For the curious souls, one can start to live by the bohemian lifestyle by first changing their dress. Fortunately, it’s quite easy to flaunt bohemian jewellery because of its popularity in modern times. To start, here are some must-haves that every boho-chic should have in their closets:
- Embroidered Blouse: one of the distinguishing features of the boho style is its flowy and cozy tops. When buying an embroidered blouse, look for tops with decorative trims like fringes and pompoms. It should also be billowy, so any item with a v-neckline or an off-shoulder design should work wonders in the overall look.
- Flared Jeans: For the bottoms, the bohemian style embraces silhouettes. It aims to display shape without being too constricting. It should be attractive yet cozy.
- Patterned Maxi Dress: Bohemian dresses are known for their loose fit and romantic flair. They utilise different patterns and textures to create an overall interesting look.
- Printed Kimono: This is an absolute must-have. Finding the perfect kimono is a closet staple. It’s an added layer of colour and texture that can complete the boho look.
- A Wide Collection of Accessories: Perhaps the most crucial piece of the puzzle is accessories. The boho style is known for stacking bohemian jewellery on top of each other. Art deco necklaces, hoop earrings, oversized rings, and turquoise bracelets are some of the items to be on the lookout for.
Embracing the Bohemian Lifestyle
The bohemian lifestyle is embraced from fashion and design to one’s way of life. More than looking good, it’s feeling free. Free from constraints, from expectations, from society’s standards. It’s being unapologetically true to oneself and being unafraid to open up to the wonders of the world. That’s what the bohemian lifestyle is all about.