When it comes to Italian dishes there are so many which will have you saying “mmmm delizioso!”. There are many places where you can taste authentic Italian food like Grapevine Shoreditch, an Italian restaurant in shoreditch. We’ve compiled our top 10 list of the most famous dishes from this foodie nation, let’s see if we’ve included your favourite:
- Pizza – Italian dishes don’t get more famous than this. While topping choice can be a contentious topic in the UK, dare we mention ham and pineapple, traditionally in Italy the most famous topping is tomato and mozzarella. While this may seem a little boring for our tastes, you really can’t beat fresh Italian ingredients.
- Ragù Alla Bolognese – One of the most popular pasta dishes in the UK is spaghetti bolognese but, believe it or not, in Italy they would never serve bolognese sauce with spaghetti. Instead they use a thicker pasta such as tagliatelle so expect a few blank looks, or maybe even an eye roll, if you ask for spaghetti bolognese in Italy.
- Lasagne – There is something so tasty about this layered pasta dish with its rich ragù sauce, gooey cheese and sumptuous soft pasta. The version of this dish that most of us will have tried in the UK isn’t a patch on the real thing!
- Spaghetti Carbonara – If you are in the mood for spaghetti when you’re in Italy, why not go for the delicious carbonara? This creamy pasta dish is always a winner and won’t fail to satisfy your pasta craving.
- Tiramisu – If ever a dish lived up to its name it would have to be this popular coffee-flavoured dessert. Tiramisu means “pick me up” or “cheer me up” in Italian and we can’t get enough of it!
- Ravioli – These pasta parcels are always a treat, who doesn’t enjoy biting through soft pasta to discover a tasty filling underneath.
- Tortellini – If you enjoy ravioli, you’re sure to love tortellini too. Whilst tricky to make at home, you can find the ready-made version in supermarkets. We won’t tell if you don’t!
- Gelato – We all love ice cream but gelato, the Italian version, is on a different level of deliciousness entirely! It is more dense and rich than other types of ice cream and once you’ve tried it you’ll never want to go back to ordinary ice cream again.
- Arancini – Not the most healthy of snacks but certainly one of the most tasty! Arancini are balls of rice coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried, the only problem is that one is never enough.
- Risotto – If you’re looking for some Italian comfort food, this dish is what you need. The creamy richness will give you that lovely warm feeling we all crave from time to time.
So there you have it, our top 10 most famous Italian dishes. There’s only one thing left for us to say, and that’s buon appetito!