Office Moves 101
Moving to a new office can be one of the best feelings out there! Regardless of whether or not you’re moving into an office for the first time, if you’ve got yourself a better deal with a nicer location, or if you’re opening a new branch – office moves can be one of the best ways to spice things up for your company and your team. After all, a new office means decorating your interior, making everything presentable, and ensuring your employees have a nice team in their respective offices. However, if this is your first time conducting an office move, just how can you make everything work? Here are some quick tips:
- Make sure you get all your documentation in order. Most office moves work like house moves – only this time you may need to handle more paperwork, as you’re moving with a company and not just individuals. As such, it’s crucial you get your required papers and documents in order before you even begin the moving process. If you’ve located a suitable office or already purchased a suitable office, make sure you’ve processed the right documents with regards to your new address. These include fixing your utilities, contacting your couriers if you’re transferring products, properly changing the information in your work, and business licenses, as well as contacting to get the moving process going.
- Take your inventory into account. Before you start packing, all things in your office need to be accounted for. Instead of using a logbook to take note of things the office has, you should probably use a cloud file – such as a document or a spreadsheet – that you and your employees have to fill up with things the company owns in their respective cubicles and offices. If possible, they should also take note of which items go in which box, so you don’t get mixed up when the unpacking process begins in your new office. Aside from keeping track of what the office owns, this makes quotations for moving services or even organizing your new office much easier to handle.
- Take note of the things you need to replace. An office move is a great time to reevaluate your current inventory and check if there are things that need replacement or refilling. For instance, now’s probably a good time to check whether you need new printers and copiers if you need paper and other materials, as well as if you need to buy new equipment for your office.
- Inform your customers and clients of your move properly. Don’t just surprise your customers and clients with a sudden office move. Instead, make sure you announce your office move properly and through the right channels. You may use a signpost outside your location or even your social media accounts in order to give your customers a heads-up about your location move and where they could find you. That way, your clients who are also managing businesses won’t have to be shocked about your move. After all, surprising your clients with a sudden office move might encourage them to look for other service providers – so make sure you don’t damage your relationship with clients and customers by informing them properly.
- Assign a skeletal workforce to handle operations. If your office move is urgent, you shouldn’t have all hands on deck. Rather, you should assign a skeletal workforce to ensure your company still operates while everyone else packs and unpacks things from the old office to the new office. That way, your customers and clients may be eased into the process of going to the new office without having to interrupt their own plans as well. Doing this also ensures there’s not much-lost income during the move.
- Hire professionals to make the move much faster. Aside from relying on your employees to help you pack and unpack your office belongings, you should hire the companies to help you with your move. Thanks to their help, you may be able to save time and money by moving your things. Movers have the skillset and equipment necessary to transport your office belongings to your new location without any damages, which avoids the need to unnecessarily replacing some office equipment necessary for your work.
Office Moves For New Business Owners: The Right Plan, The Right Move
With the above tips in mind, it’s important to remember that sometimes the best office moves come alongside proper planning and proper execution. As such, you and your team should prepare for your office move in advance while at the same time ensuring your office operations aren’t hindered to keep your business afloat. Balancing these two elements can vastly help make your office move more fun and stress-free. Moreover, you may even make your office move much shorter and much more efficient in the process.