The higher than the usual growth rate of abnormal cells in the oral tissues is the direct explanation for oral cancer. Generally, this type of cancer is repeatedly seen in the squamous cells present in the mouth, tongue, and lips of a patient. It’s very difficult to detect the formation of this cancer as its first set of symptoms mostly surface after cancer has spread to the lymph nodes present in the neck. But early detection is crucial for Oral Cancer Treatment.
Although it’s difficult, early detection of this malignant disease is possible. The disease’s discovery is marked by the various changes in your body. These changes are the signs and symptoms associated with oral cancer. You can also visit this site to get more info.
Here are some important signs and symptoms reflecting the growth of cancerous elements-
- Swelling or lumps in tongue, lip, or any other oral region
- Red or white velvety patches in the mouth
- Pain or numbness in the oral region, possibly in tongue and jaw movement
- Mysterious bleeding from gums or anywhere in the mouth
- Difficulty in chewing and swallowing certain types of food
- A sore throat and difficulty in breathing
- Mild or acute ear pain
- Unexpected weight loss
Oral cancer is painful and deadly and here are a few precautions for prevention:
- Cut down on your alcohol intake
- Quit consumption of tobacco products – they are considered the primary cause
- The harmful UV rays from the sun can trigger cancer of the lip. Use appropriate sunscreen when stepping out in the sun
- Conduct regular self-examination of lips, gums, roof and,d back of the mouth, etc. Look for signs like bumps or lumps and get them checked immediately
- Maintain good oral hygiene and go for regular dental checkups
Oral cancer treatment is largely dependent on the type of cancer, the stage of the disease, and your ailments. Your doctor’s approach will depend on the treatment best suited to your care. Some treatment options are:
Surgery is an effective treatment wherein the affected tissue area is surgically removed in combination with pre or post-surgery radiation and chemotherapy. Cosmetic reconstruction surgery may follow to overcome any deformity caused.
It uses high-intensity X rays to damage the cancer cells’ DNA and impair their reproductive power thereby shrinking the tumor to a more surgery-friendly size.
Chemotherapy uses medication to travel through the patient’s body destroying every rapidly growing cell in the patient’s body.
For further detail, you can find out more on this website.