Switzerland is a small country but it is unparalleled when it comes to natural scenery. A trip to Switzerland is something that every travel fanatic should have on their to-do list. Along with the natural scenery, Switzerland is also famous for the outmatched variety of outdoor activities you are welcome to indulge in. There’s something for everyone in Switzerland. But you should know that Switzerland tours would be incomplete if its cuisine is left unexplored.
Some of the most common things Switzerland is famous for are fondue and Swiss Chocolates. Cheese fondue is nothing but bread cubes in melted cheese. The pieces of bread are picked up with a fork and then covered in melted cheese. But there’s a lot more to Swiss cuisine than Swiss chocolates and cheese fondu
Below is a list of food items you should definitely try on your visit to Switzerland:
- Zopf Bread- Zopf means braid, so this particular dish lives up to its name and is a braided breaded. It is a quite famous bread made with butter and milk. The texture of this bread is very soft. The Swiss like to eat it on Sundays for breakfast. It is also eaten with tea and sometimes served with fruits and jams.
- Bundner Nusstorte– This dish is actually a tart made out of nuts. It is also called Engadiner Nusstorte. It is a traditional Swiss dessert. This tart is filled with walnuts and caramel. This classic dish is generally cut into small pieces and usually eaten with tea or coffee. It is almost guaranteed that you won’t be able to stop at one.
- Rosti– Rosti is a simple but delicious dish. It consists of shredded potatoes that are fried in butter. The dish is fried till golden brown. As a rule, it is served with breakfast. It is also a very good side dish. This is the national food of Switzerland and you can add several things like vegetable broth, spices, cheese, and onions to give it more flavor.
- Berner Platte– is one of the food platters that is eaten in Switzerland. It is associated with the traditions of Switzerland and it is also considered a staple food by the Swiss. It consists of many types of meat that include, beef tongue, smoked pork, beef, and a lot more types of meat are used. It is cooked in juniper and Sauerkraut flavors. They often contain Sauerkraut, beans, and potatoes.
- Wine– Switzerland might not be a country that ranks among the top wine-producing countries in the world, but the amazing country produces some very interesting options. You’ll have to travel to Switzerland if you want to have a taste of the Swiss Wines because a very little amount of Switzerland made wines is exported to other countries. The areas that are famous for producing wine in Switzerland include, Graubuden, Neuchatel, and Geneva. It is interesting to note that more than 200 kinds of grapes are grown in Switzerland, so you can rest assured that Swiss wines are something one-of-a-kind.
- Alplermagronen– This is also one of the traditional dishes of Switzerland. It is made of pasta, cheese, potatoes, and onions and is often served with applesauce.
With this list in mind, you can easily turn your Swiss vacation into a real gastronomic adventure!