Whether you are a homeowner or soon-to-be one, you are bound to have to think of your home’s gutters at some point in time. Regular gutter maintenance is necessary to prevent overflow and damage to your home’s foundation and landscape! Even the most well-maintained gutters will eventually need an upgrade.
Signs Your Gutters are Due for an Upgrade
Unless there’s major damage to your gutters because of a storm or branches falling, you may only notice that your gutters are damaged during maintenance. Even so, the signs can be hard to see. Here are a few signs to look out for.
- Drips and Leaks at Corners: Leaking seams occur with every system that relies on sealants. Failed seams can cause rot on the fascia, holes in landscaping and even concrete, and slick areas that easily ice up in winter!
- Peeling Paint: If you have older steel gutters, a sign that water has managed to penetrate through the metal is when the protective paint around the gutters starts to flake. Rust or dark build-up on the outer surface near seams are other signs to look out for.
- Dripping Through the Gutter: when a preserved cedar shake roof has previously been installed on your home, the wood preservative will have leached out and can cause galvanic corrosion in the aluminum. The aluminum flakes apart, pinholes appear as the material becomes brittle and crumbles. This continues after the roof is replaced.
- Fascia Damage: You may see mould, peeling paint, dirt or stains on the board behind your gutters. This indicates that water leaks through the seal or the roof edge is compromised.
- Sagging Gutters: If your gutters are pulling away from the roof, it may show that the fasteners are damaged or the fascia rotting, and it may be time to replace them.
Choosing New Gutters
If it’s time to install new gutters, there are several considerations you need to make. While price is one consideration, the materials, style, and colour will significantly affect how well your gutters function, their longevity, and the overall aesthetic of your home. The team at Precision Gutters Ltd. considers all these factors while discussing your needs and options. Our team installs almost all profiles of seamless aluminum gutters and steel, zinc, and copper half-round gutters. They can also discuss the benefits of installing leaf screens depending on the foliage, building location, roof pitch and other aspects of your home.
Precision Gutters Ltd. – A Company You Can Rely On
A company that has been around for a while must be doing something right. Set up in 1989, today Precision Gutters serves the entire Lower Mainland area, Sunshine Coast and even remote areas around BC by special arrangement. Rather than subcontracting work, our crews consist of employees of Precision gutters Ltd., most of whom have been with our company for over ten years. This is the only way to offer the highest quality gutter installation, maintenance, and repairs.
Our services include cleaning and repairs to full replacement and new gutter installations on residential, commercial, industrial and strata complexes. We service what we sell and offer unique products and design ideas to solve problems or enhance your home.
Our crew’s safety, and yours, is a priority which is why we carry full liability insurance and are WorkSafeBC GoldStar compliant.
Has Inspiration Gone Down the Drain?
Whether you’re an architect, project manager, homeowner or strata council looking for some enthusiasm on your gutter project or need some encouragement to get you motivated on starting your next gutter job, we have plenty of ideas to get your project going. Feel free to browse our gallery for a few ideas.
Or, if you are ready to go ahead with the installation, and repairs, want to set up a regular gutter maintenance schedule, or simply have a few questions, our team is happy to have a chat. Get in touch with us today.