Struggling with finances can be frustrating. It is one of the many issues that people can relate to. Whatever the cause for your challenging financial situation is, if you are in debt and are struggling to keep up with your payments, you may benefit from a credit counselling Canada. These agencies are typically non-profit organizations that provide free services in different areas such as debt & money management and personal budgeting, to name a few. These services can help people eliminate unsecured debt, help you with budgeting, and educate you on using credit responsibly.
But how to know whether you need a credit counsellor or not? If you identify with “struggling to get by” or just getting by,” you will find this information quite helpful.
Table of Contents
Signs Indicating Credit counselling might be right for you
Here are a few indicators that can help you recognize you have a problem.
- Living Paycheck to Paycheck, where you are using up every paycheck on bills, clearing off debts and other expenses. This can hurt your financial health due to your inability to create a financial safety net or emergency fund. In this scenario, a credit counsellor can help you create long- and short-term strategies for growing wealth.
- Are you missing credit card payments, or do you tend to be always late? Late credit card payments can lead to poor credit scores. Contact a credit counsellor at the earliest before falling behind. They can help you get back on track.
- Do you make full payments or find yourself making minimum payments on your cards for many months? Paying the minimum payment on a card will put you on a pedestal to be paying the debt for a longer than average period. This could result from you not being able to get out of debt.
- You find yourself too much dependent on cash advances. It can put you in a situation where you have to pay high-interest rates. A credit counsellor will be able to devise a long-term plan that will help you in the future to avoid taking cash advances in the future.
- Are you using one credit card to pay for other credit card debts? If that is the case, it will take you no time to get into financial trouble. It could also mean you do not have any savings to manage unexpected expenses. Learning how to put some cash reserve for unplanned costs can help you in the long run.
- Do you have trouble sticking to a budget? You might be someone who believes living in a moment but drifting away from your budget can put a dent in your financial health. When you come to a credit counsellor, they can help you prepare your budget, taking your monthly obligations and income into account.
- Do you see your debt is creating tension in your household? If that is the case, you may be heading towards debt, which is a massive sign that your finances are getting out of hand, and only external help like a credit counsellor can help you get out of debt.
Usually, people equate credit counselling with a situation when they are deep in debt. But, it isn’t exclusively for those having financial troubles. The right credit counsellor gives you adequate knowledge, explains how to use credit carefully, and helps you make a budget for yourself, preventing financial crisis.
Credit counsellors are trained and certified to help you improve your credit situation. By working with them, you can expect to get out of debt and have improved money management skills and know-how to create a budget.