We all experience stress from time to time in our life. It is a natural reaction both physically and mentally to life experiences. Some of the most stressful life events include death of a loved one, going through divorce, moving, job loss, major illness or injury, and etc. Life events is unavoidable and it is important that we need to handle them properly.
In this article, we will focus on how to save money when moving house. Moving house can often leads to forking out cash left and right and it can be very stressful especially when you have to make do with a tight budget after having a pay cut or worse still, losing your job because of the current economy slow down.
If this is the first time you are moving house, it can be taxing to you financially, physically, and emotionally. In order to cut cost and minimize your stress level, you will need to plan ahead especially when it involves your whole family. Here are some helpful tips to make your house moving budget friendly.
Check this page, if you’re looking for tips and guides before renting a home or apartment.
- To save cost buying new boxes, you can try to collect free, clean boxes once your move is confirmed. Ask your friends or colleagues. Chances are someone has recently moved and has boxes to give away or you can collect empty paper boxes from your office.
- Make lists of items that you want to pack, items to sell as recyclables, items to give away, and items to discard. Selling recyclable items will help bring in some money that can be used on other essentials. As you pack, make sure to place all items to be discarded into refuse bags and have them removed by the rubbish truck to make space for the packed boxes.
- If you are moving short distance, you can save money on moving by transporting smaller itemsor boxes using your own car. You will only need to rent a smaller truck to move the bigger items and the job can be done in a couple of hours.
- Sorting through things and packing can be very time consuming. Instead of ordering food to be delivered to your house, you can save money by cooking your food in advance and keeping them in the fridge, ready to be heated up again. Home cooked meals are healthier and cheaper than ordering outside food.
- Most people choose certain months to move house. Avoid the peak moving season to save money. As long as it is not in extreme weather, off season allows you to source for the best deals and chances of negotiating a lower rate when the moving companies are looking for business.
- If you have friends or family members offering their truck to help you move house, take advantage of their offer. In return, you can top up the gas for the truck and hold a thank you party in your new house for your friends and family in appreciation for their help. All this doesn’t cost much compared to hiring expensive movers to do the job.
Planning ahead is the key to making your move on a budget possible and making the smooth transition a success.