Windows are an essential part of the house after doors. They allow the airflow and natural light to pass through so that you can enjoy them both. Secondly, you can enjoy beautiful views and scenery outside your house through the windows. You can close them any time you like to block the outside view, air and light.
However, windows to experience problems that can make them lose their functionality, and it actually becomes a nuisance. Windows when appear dull and weak means they are becoming the main cause of your home’s energy loss. They no longer act as a barrier to keep the inside energy intact. Moreover, the withered wood becomes the food of the pests and other insects which can even get the passage route from these windows to your home. Therefore, in such cases,and repairing should be taken into consideration.
To help you, I have mentioned some of the common window problem and their solutions. If the issues are more, you must hire professional services.
1) Paint is the culprit- Often when you indulge in home remedies or DIY painting, you tend to do it in an unprofessional way, and it may leave more paint on one side and less on the other. If you see your window is not budging, it could be because the paint is present in the crevices and you are dealing with a situation in which your windows are painted shut.
Solution: The best way to avoid the painted shut situation is to paint your windows carefully and keep them open until the paint dries out.
2) Presence of drafts- Windows must be kept well insulated to keep the home warm during winters and cold during summers. Proper insulation enhances energy efficiency; however, if you experience draft coming from the windows, then there is a problem that must be solved.
- Caulking- Your windows can lose its sealing due to exposure to environmental factors; therefore, applying caulk and changing sealing may help.
- Weatherstripping- There must be a solid seal around your windows to protect them from water dripping from the roof and damping the window.
- Upgrading windows- When you are feeling too much draft, the best way to get rid of it is to with the new and solid ones.
3) The occurrence of water leakage- Windows can leak because of the condensation, improper flashing and failed window sealant. If the material of the windows is wood, then they require high maintenance since they get easily damaged because of the problems mentioned above and dwell molds.
Solution: Either keep a check on the wooden windows regularly and keep them dry and insulated or replace them with durable material.
4) Rotted, damp and warped wood- If you have wooden windows, they can easily rot, warp and get cracks due to lack of maintenance and direct exposure to atmospheric conditions, presence of pests and physical damages.
Solutions: Insulate your windows with robust material, shutters, film and polish that keeps the pests away; it doesn’t let the direct sunlight to fall on the windows and protects them from water leakages.