Once you have committed to growing your marijuana plant the start of your marijuana plant journey has begun. Just to be sure you have everything ready before you start your growth. You have the following items on hand: cultivation materials, ie nutrient-rich, well-draining potting medium, grow space either indoor or outdoor and lastly, you may now buy cannabis seeds online.
One nagging question though asked by every beginner is will fresh cannabis seeds germinate? In your search to cut on start-up expenses, you want to know if freshly picked seeds from your buddy’s cannabis plant could be germinated. The answer is yes. It can be germinated but there are quite a few risk factors involved with freshly picked cannabis seeds.
Possible emergence of Male Cannabis Plants
Since the freshly picked seeds were randomly chosen. there is a huge possibility of germinating both male and female plants. For a grower, there is a need to isolate the males from the females and the males induce the female plants to produce seeds. And every marijuana grower now produces seedless buds called sinsemilla. These sinsemillas are the marijuana you find in the stores and readily available commercially.
The number of Germinated seeds may Vary
Freshly picked marijuana seed coming to life will vary. if you germinated 20 seeds, not all 20 will pop out. this is due to the seeds being unstable. There will be times when none at all will germinate. Store-bought or online purchased seeds have been processed and usually have high germination rates.
The Cannabis Seed has Not Yet Reached Maturity
Again, randomly picking cannabis seeds from a mother plant will not guarantee that these seeds are already mature enough to germinate. A trained eye will assist you in picking the right seeds to germinate
- Dark color seeds- quality and mature seeds are darkish in color. Either brown, black, or gray. Green and whitish cannabis seeds are immature. These immature seeds could be induced to mature by placing them in a dark spot and leaving it for a month or two.
- Waxy Coat – a great and healthy seed will display features of having a waxy coating. This coating should display a glistening appearance.
- No Cracks should be on the seed – Having cracks means that the inside of the seed has a possibility of being dried up. The moisture of the inside of the seed may have escaped, thus this seed will not germinate.
- Solid Outer shell – by lightly squeezing the outer shell of the cannabis seed, the seed will be crushed. This is a sign of healthy seed. By being able to easily crush it using a very minimal amount of pressure means you have a weak seed and not recommended to germinate.
Dry them out
Freshly picked seeds are usually full of moisture and it will be very difficult to germinate in that condition. The germination of seeds properly dried will be more stable and uniform in growth. A recommended drying time of fourteen (14) days is suitable
When germinating a cannabis seed, the germination conditions must be
Replicating how Nature Germinates Seeds
In nature, seeds usually germinate during the springtime. This is when temperatures and humidity levels are at the optimal levels for seeds of all types to start germinating and growing. The climate is not too cold and not extremely hot as in summer.
Cannabis seeds are quite delicate and need that controlled setting to properly germinate. By providing these three ideal environments, your marijuana seeds will be germinating in no time. Just keep in mind to mimic how it is done in a natural setting.
- The room must contain enough moisture– having the ideal humidity level where moisture is present in the air will promote the germination process. Moisture will allow the sed to expand and break out of its enclosed coating.
- The Temperature must be regulated – having a controlled temperature of about 20 to 22C of 68-72F is the ideal germination temperature. These are the normal temperatures during spring in the Northern Hemisphere.
- Minimize handling the seeds and seedlings – the less you handle the seeds, the less chance of exposing it to impurities and contaminating them. Also, there is a lesser chance of accidentally cracking or breaking the seed.
Your plant’s life cycle begins with the germination of the seed. Proper knowledge of the germination procedures and ideal environmental conditions are key in germination healthy and sturdy seedlings which would eventually grow out into a well-conditioned and high yielding plant. It is highly recommended to purchase seeds online rather than to germinate freshly picked seeds right out of the plant as store-bought seeds have high germination results and produce great quality and consistent plants.