Packaging is a technology of preparing the goods for transport, warehousing, logistics, sale and the end use. The packaging retains the product inside it throughout its logistics chain from manufacturer to the end user. Packaging serves several objectives of physical protection, barrier protection, containment or aggregation, marketing, security, convenience of handling, portion control and very important branding/positioning. Keeping these requirements and performance attributes in view, the Polypropylene (PP)/High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) woven sacks/bags are now the most widely used and popular flexible packaging system for several commodities like cement, fertilizer, chemicals, polymers/resins, food grains, sugar, animal feed, rice, flour, coffee, salt and host of other goods.
Polyolefins like PP & HDPE are the material of choice because of inherent advantages of functional performance and cost benefits. Some of the attributes which make them the ideal choice for bulk packaging (from 10 kg to 2 tons) are as following.
- Barrier protection – excellent resistance to moisture, temperature, fungal/microbial infestation.
- Light weight – ratio of packaging weight Vs volume is less than conventional packaging.
- Strength – adequate strength to withstand the risks of material loss involved in distribution/storage cycles.
- Operational Convenience – easy handling during transportation, stack ability etc.
- Eco Friendly and sustainable – raw material availability is not dependent on natural resources, conservation of material, energy and water.
- Reusable and Recyclable
- Low cost than other conventional packaging systems
- Branding/Positioning – printability of coated and non-coated bags is much superior to traditional material like jute. Outstanding printability can be achieved with BOPP laminated woven sacks.
For packaging of wide variety of products like solid chemicals, food grains, sugar, cashew nuts, animal feeds, flour, maize etc. non-coated/coated/laminated woven sacks from PP are used.
For packing the fertilizer, the bags are made from HDPE in India.
HDPE / PP Woven sacks with liner are used when the particle size of the product to be packed is very fine making it possible for it to ooze out of the woven bag and needs to be protected from moisture. The liner bags are most suitable to pack sugar or any other hygroscopic material.
HDPE/PP woven fabric which can be coated/non-coated are also used as wrapping fabric to cover material like paper rolls, textile fabrics, old cloth, all type of rubber tyres, steel coils, galvanized pipes, etc.
Conventional Pillow type non-coated bags with perforations are generally used for packing of cement or any other material which are hot while packing for air permeability.
Some other prominent end applications where PP/HDPE woven fabric is used are as below
- Sand Bags – used in famine-affected areas to control the floods, by the armed forces are also made of unlaminated woven fabric. These bags are filled with sand and its mouth is tied with the strap.
- Leno / Mesh bags – highly convenient mode of packaging a variety of perishable goods like onions, potatoes, garlic, ground nuts, fruits & vegetables etc. With their low weights and cost effectiveness & wide range of attractive colours they provide a superior packaging alternative to other materials. Leno bags are developed to the highest standards of quality and exhibit a high level of flexibility and efficiency and can carry loads of over 50 kgs.
- Lumber Wrap – wide width fabric to cover huge logs of wood. It can either be one side or both side laminated. Also available printed in roll form.
- Tarpaulins – Wide width fabric made from HDPE (coated) can be used for covering material especially in trucks, for layering in canals and roads. These are available laminated one side or both side.
- Carry bags – made from PP/HDPE woven fabric can be used for shopping purpose. The advantage over normal polythene bags is its strength, durability and good appearance.
- BOPP Laminated Bags – PP woven fabric is laminated by pre-printed BOPP film to make such bags. These bags have a very good appearance and are used for packaging premium products like pesticides, seeds, wheat flour, high-end chemicals etc. It may also be used for secondary packaging of smaller 1kg bags. BOPP laminated bags has wide usage in the retail industry as it provides freedom to produce colourful and attractive bags. Aesthetics is one of the main advantages of PP/HDPE woven sacks and printing effect on woven fabric being more superior to traditional materials like jute adds to the quality of packaging. Due to this added characteristic of bags, it makes the most preferred choice over paper & jute bags for the marketers as a better packaging option as it helps them to establish unique positioning of their products in consumer’s mind.
Overall, the light weight, cost effectiveness and aesthetics and sustainability made PP/HDPE Woven Sacks as an ideal choice for Bulk Packaging.