Losing a tooth due to any reason can be a nightmare. No one wants to exhibit a gap in their dentition while they smile. This doesn’t seem very pleasant and dwindles your self-esteem. Not just this, but a missing tooth can also create a lot of other complications, such as difficulty in speaking, biting, or chewing. The teeth in the vicinity of the missing tooth can become crooked and worsen the problem even further. Therefore, it is imperative to get your missing tooth replaced and solve the problem permanently. Dental implants are the most durable, reliable, and efficient way to help you in that. If you want to check different types of dental implants, visit:
A dental implant is a small post-like prosthesis made up usually of titanium that acts as the root of your teeth. It is surgically inserted into a socket drilled into your jawbone, and an artificial replacement tooth or a bridge is attached to it.
Here is the rationale why you should consider choosing dental implants over other alternatives to replace a missing tooth.
- Prevents bone and gum loss- When you lose a tooth, the bone and gum surrounding it are no longer in use and undergo atrophy. A dental implant is inserted into the jaw and allows the bone to fuse with it. It prevents bone loss. If you choose any other method to replace the missing tooth, they will correct the problem only superficially, and bone loss would not be prevented.
- Doesn’t put extra pressure on existing teeth- A dental implant acts like a root to which an artificial tooth is anchored. It makes the tooth strong and so, the force while biting is distributed evenly among all the teeth. This prevents premature wear and tear of the other teeth.
- Helps maintain good oral hygiene– A dental implant is not anchored to or supported by any other teeth; this makes it more convenient to clean and consequently maintain good oral hygiene. Also, there is practically no space between the implant and other teeth in which food can get stuck.
- Long-lasting- Dental implants are made up of titanium, which is a highly durable material. So, an implant will not undergo infection or decay. They require nominal maintenance and can last for 30-35 years. This makes them the most cost-effective investment for missing teeth replacement.
- Enhances the quality of your life- Dental implants bolster your ability to speak, chew, and bite with ease. They also fill the vacant space and prevent other teeth from getting crooked.
- Stimulates bone growth- A dental implant acts just like a natural tooth and boosts bone growth in the surrounding area.
- Natural-looking- A dental implant is not visible superficially as it is inserted inside the bone. Only the artificial tooth is visible, which can be custom made just like your natural teeth. This gives a more natural-looking restoration.
Dental implants have a reasonably high success rate and documented improved quality of life of the patient. They are loaded with a myriad of advantages and are considered the best option to replace missing teeth.