Do you know all you need to about heavy machinery and equipment like side loaders? A side loader is a machine that allows you to offload shipping containers from the side, rather than the front. Sometimes referred to as a self-loading trailer, it has the unique ability to move directly to the side of a container ship or truck to unload it.
This is an excellent feature as it can be loaded directly from the ground level, which makes it safer than using equipment such as a crane. Side loader transport can be arranged to limit turnaround time and make the job run more efficiently.
A side loader is normally loaded onto a truck trailer and driven to the site where the work needs to be done. You only need one operator, and it will greatly decrease the amount of time it takes to unload so you can provide a competitive service. We’ll share some details to help you make even better choices for your business.
Benefits of Using a Side Loader
There are many benefits to side loader services, including:
- Side loaders need less space to turn, so they are ideal to use in smaller spaces
- It can easily drive up beside the truck to unload
- Ideal for transporting long items, such as logs
- Using a flatbed trailer allows you to distribute the weight evenly, so it’s less likely to tip over
- The operator has a much clearer view of the road during transportation
- Some of the newest models can manoeuvre in four directions by spinning on its wheels
Important note: although side loaders move very easily, a forklift may still be required for very small spaces.
Jobs Than can be Performed with a Side Loader
Consisting of two lifting cranes located next to each other that are loaded onto a trailer, this clever piece of machinery can lift items directly to and from ground level. For example, move items from one trailer to another or stack items. This can be done quickly, in as little as five minutes for most jobs.
Why Your Business Needs a Side Loader
If you spend hours loading and offloading trucks and cargo ships with a crane, you should consider investing in purchasing a side loader. Advantages for your business include:
- Stand out from your competitors: Owning a side loader will give your company a competitive advantage as it will allow you to get the job done faster than your competition.
- Do more per day: As it takes much less time to complete the task, you will be able to schedule more work per day and in that way increase revenue.
- Load directly onto the ground:A side loader has the ability to place the container directly onto the ground so that it can be unpacked easily.
- Keeps your cargo safe:Even bio-hazardous goods can be moved easily and safely without the risk of falling.
- Multi-functional:You aren’t limited to moving containers only. In fact, any heavy item can be lifted up to the weight of 120 tons.
- Better on uneven ground: This machine is perfect for terrain that isn’t even because of its low operating height. It won’t topple over very easily.
Employ Less Staff and Use Fewer Vehicles
Traditional off-loading normally requires a team of individuals that need to be paid and manual labour may still take a long time to get the job done. A side loader can be operated by a single staff member.
A side loader replaces a number of traditional vehicles in one compact machine and eliminates the need for you to hire additional equipment.
Tough and Reliable
This machine may be small but that doesn’t mean it isn’t tough. It was built to be long lasting and handle large loads quickly and efficiently. All the parts are made of durable materials and it’s known for its reliability on the job site.
Not much maintenance is required and if you look after it correctly it will last for years without any issues.
Can Move in Limited Space
The problem on most job sites is that there is very limited space. Working in a confined area is dangerous, especially for larger machinery. A side loader only needs limited space to operate and can get into even very small areas.
A side loader can turn around in a complete circle and unload items in any direction. It gives workers the ability to unload and load the trailer in a much smaller space, because you can position the truck next to the side loader.
A side loader can stack containers on top of one another, so it’s perfect for fragile cargo and will ensure that nothing is damaged in the loading or offloading process.
Load and off-load containers and other items easily to maximise your job’s turnaround time. It’s a valuable piece of equipment which can replace a number of machines on the job site and get the work done more quickly and efficiently. More productivity means more income, so a side loader is a smart investment.
After weighing the benefits for yourself you will see that your business could benefit from adding a side loader to the team.