Dental instruments are designed for different purposes and used by the dentist and staff during oral care. If you are a beginner in the dentistry field and want to know some necessary instruments that use in dentistry during oral care, you will get all that information in that write-up. We will discuss all the essential apparatus that every dentist must have in his/her clinic. We will discuss the uses of these apparatus as well.
Instruments and Their Uses:
The dental mirror used for:
- To hold retract your tongue, lips, or cheeks
- For indirect vision
- From the back of the dental mirror, the dentist check if the tooth is fractured or not
- Indirect illumination
Dentists use a tweezer for:
- To hold the cotton roll
- To hold different material
- To transfer material in and out of the cavity
An amalgam gun is an imperative tool used by dentists. Its use for different purposes like:
- Carry amalgam in the cavity
- Use to fill the cavity
A cement spatula is a dental tool used by the dentist. It has a wide-bladed face and long tail. Many of us will be aware of that instrument during their dental visits. Used for:
- Mixing the materials
- Mixing the liquid and cement powder to get an appropriate mixture
Matrix band has one surface concave(upward) and one convex (Downward). Its uses are:
- Provision of a temporary wall of resistance to the pressure necessary for amalgam insertion
- Provision of shape and contour to the restoration
- Maintenance of form during placement and set of amalgam/composite
The wooden wedge is a double inclined plane tool used by the dentist in dentistry for:
- Fill the space between the tooth
- To tight the matrix band
- Used to compress gingiva
- Used to separate tight band
- To hold matrix band in place
The condenser is another dentist tool used for:
- Use to condense the amalgam
- Used to filling the amalgam in the cavity
Microscopes are used to magnify, visualize and diagnose the illness and treat accordingly. There are many microscopes that can be used in dental laboratories. If a dentist isn’t using microscope. There are chances that he/she can miss decay. Microscope Crew can be helpful in finding the right piece.
Excavator is a spoon-shaped dental tool is used for:
- To remove temporary fillings
- To remove soft dentine
- Coop out/excavate soft dentine
There are two types of carver:
- Frahm’s Carver
- Ward’s Carver
Both carvers are used to remove excess material and also use to produce normal tooth anatomy.
The micro brush is a small plastic instrument with a small fiber bristled head. Its uses are:
- Use to apply dentine
- Use to apply enamel bond, sealant.
It is a white syringe in which blue gel-type material is filled in it, and it is used to prepare the tooth’s natural enamel for the application of an adhesive. It is also used to remove the smear layer and prepare the tooth for bonding.
Extracting forceps is another necessary tool for the dentist used to remove the teeth. It is also used for picking up cotton when dealing with oral care.
14)Air Water Syringe
This dental instrument allows a dentist to inject air or water into the oral cavity. Many of us will be aware of that instrument because they see and feel it during their regular dental visits. Air and water come out of it, and it’s called a syringe that’s why.