What are Hydraulic Cylinders?
Hydraulic cylinders are linear actuators that give a unidirectional force using a unidirectional stroke. These devices are used to create a straight force that is either pushing or pulling. The main force driving this effect is hydrostatic energy. This energy is generated by Hydraulic Cylinders and used to drive different devices. It consists of Hydraulic fluid, which is mostly oil and is used to create pressure that generates Hydraulic energy.
You can also buy oil seal from.
Principle used in Hydraulic Cylinders:
It follows Pascal Law, which states that:
Pressure exerted on a fluid in an enclosed container is transmitted equally and undiminished to all parts of the container and acts at a right angle to the enclosing walls.
Advantages of using Hydraulic Cylinders:
Hydraulic cylinders have a vast application in civil engineering due to its various advantages, some of which are stated below:
- Hydraulic cylinders are well known for their efficiency and speed. Hydraulic cylinders increases the efficiency and speed of your work.
- Hydraulic cylinders are also favored because they are precise and accurate. It is due to Hydraulic oil and servo valves used in them. They directly hit the target.
- Another mentioning point is their power. Although Hydraulic cylinders are small in size, they are able to generate massive energy that allows you to perform multiple activities.
- Hydraulic cylinders save far more energy than previously used electromagnetic devices. Giving a little power to Hydraulic cylinders can generate a massive amount of energy.
- Hydraulic Cylinders are very resistant to harsh conditions and are much more reliable than previously used electromagnetic devices.
Disadvantages of using Hydraulic Cylinders:
Although Hydraulic cylinders have a lot of benefits, it also have some disadvantages, which are mentioned below:
- Hydraulic fluid used in Hydraulic Cylinders are difficult to handle. Sometimes there is a leakage in Hydraulic Cylinders which leads to lose of fluid and thus Hydraulic cylinders stop working.
- The leaked fluid can also catch fire and can cause serious health issues.
- Hydraulic fluids are sometimes corrosive and causes serious problems in your device.
Applications of Hydraulic Cylinders:
Following are some of the applications of Hydraulic cylinders in daily life:
- Hydraulic Press
- Hydraulic Excavator
- Hydraulic Work Holding System
- Drill Rigs
- Plastic injection molding Machine
Types of Hydraulic Cylinders:
There are various types and classifications of . Some of these types are explained below:
Mill Type Hydraulic Cylinders:
Mill Type Hydraulic Cylinders have their top and bottom connected together via rings, screws etc. These cylinders are designed specifically to resist harsh conditions and very favorable in severe work.
Telescope Cylinders are of immense importance when you need a high energy using a small cylinder. These cylinders generate a lot of energy using a small space. These cylinders require a little space for installation. These are of two types : Single acting and Double acting cylinders.
Tie Rod cylinders:
In Tie Rod cylinders, the top and bottom of cylinders are connected with each other via Tue Rod. These cylinders are well known for their compact size and efficiency. These uses a tie rod instead of rings and screws.
Spring Return Hydraulic Cylinders:
These cylinders are used where external restoring force is not available. Spring is used to restore cylinder to their initial position. These springs are either present within the cylinders or are mounted outside the system. The major drawback of using these type of cylinders is their low efficiency. These cylinders generate a little amount of energy and are not as efficient as others.
Tandem Rod Cylinders:
In this type of cylinder system, two cylinder rods are used and are placed in such a way that piston rod of one cylinder pushes the bottom of other rod and thus massive amount of energy is generated using a limited diameter.
This type of cylinder exists in lifting trolleys where force is required in one direction only. It consists of only one piston area and pressure is created to generate force.
Hydraulic Cylinders are much better than the traditional in almost all aspects. Hydraulic cylinders are efficient, accurate, precise and are capable of generating a lot of energy with a little or no restoration force. All of the above mentioned types are now used in different devices used in civil engineering and daily life.