Having high-quality healthcare services is essential for your organization’s efficiency, effectiveness, and safety. You can adopt various strategies, such as specialized tools and methods and efficient electronic medical records solutions. Combined with the best healthcare practices, you’ll be able to improve the healthcare quality you give to your patients. Here are some tips for healthcare quality improvement:
Opt for EMR Solutions
One of the most important factors in improving healthcare quality is to have an effective electronic medical records (EMR) solution for all specialties, especially a unified EMR for general surgery. It involves high-risk procedures and requires accurate patient information. EMRs ensure more patient-centered care that will also benefit the whole organization.
IT-based systems help you improve your documentation processes, leading to better billing and, eventually, increased revenue. This is a good place to start if you want excellent patient feedback that will show how your organization closely monitors its overall wellness. Here are other benefits of investing in an EMR system:
- Accurate Patient Information: Electronic files are more advantageous than traditional paper records due to reduced chances of theft, damage, or alteration. It also makes accessing and updating patient information easier, so physicians have a detailed medical history every consultation.
- Increased Efficiency: EMRs allow doctors to provide accurate diagnosis and treatment and save more time. They also feature built-in templates to document patient complaints or issues. These templates are customizable to match each individual’s needs.
- Increased Revenue: All businesses, including healthcare organizations, aim to increase revenue. EMR systems offer billing tools that ensure payment, manage your income, and reduce coding mistakes and other payment errors.
Focus on Patient Engagement
Patients are the best advocates for their health, so it’s important to make ways to be engaged. Primary care providers should find effective ways to encourage communication among families and physicians to aid the patient’s healthcare journey. Here are some ways to enhance patient engagement:
- Include Your Patients in Decision-making: Shared decision-making improves the patient’s healthcare experience because they have the freedom to understand and choose treatments, tests, and care plans that will build trust and increase the possibility of the patient following through with the plan.
- Send Reminders Through Text: Text-based reminders are more convenient because patients don’t need to set up an online account or download an app. They also prefer reminders via text because many people don’t answer unknown callers due to fear of spam calls. You can have them reply yes or no for confirmation for easy and hassle-free appointment reminders.
- Get Them Involved in Goal Setting for Their Health: Proper goal setting is important for a patient’s engagement and education. For instance, a patient diagnosed with diabetes may feel overwhelmed with self-management tasks such as being active and eating healthy without specific goals. Discuss with your patient the importance behind every piece of information to encourage them to follow them and move forward.
- Motivate Them With Rewards: Offering rewards can motivate everyone, including your patients. These incentives can encourage them to work hard for their health goals, which will help strengthen your patient-provider relationship. You can offer rewards like gift certificates or raffle entries every time they complete the supplementary education regarding their journey to recovery. The incentives don’t have to be expensive, and they shouldn’t replace the valuable care you offer to them.
- Consider Family Engagement: Family and friends are part of patient-centered care as they provide accountability and emotional support as caregivers. You can incorporate the patient’s family into the treatment plans to serve as an additional set of eyes and ears and help them understand the importance of their loved one’s healthcare.
Connect with Other Organizations
Another way to improve the quality of your care is by researching and learning from other organizations. Identify your areas for improvement and look for other healthcare companies that excel in those areas. You can find these organizations by researching online, reading literature, and attending conferences. When you implement what you’ve learned from others in your organization, you’re on your way to improving patient outcomes.
Create an Executable Plan
Create a doable improvement plan to accomplish your goals in an effective and timely manner. It includes specific measures for improvement and protocols for achieving those measures. Make sure you have an organized procedure for tracking your data and detailed information to successfully implement a quality improvement plan.
Good healthcare quality will help your organization enhance patient outcomes and improve care delivery. It can help you have cost-effective, reliable, and sustained healthcare processes that will enhance patient satisfaction and excellent healthcare services.