Crashing a file explorer is something we all usually come across while dealing with our laptop or PC. Being a file of key importance, it is necessary to fix this issue so that the user can work smoothly without any halts. Even after the updates being provided by Microsoft, some users still complain of this issue frequently. There is not a single reason due to which file explorer crashes. The people upgrading to Windows 10 recently face this issue. Others face it simply due to using the search feature. A simple right-click on any file and folder may cause the crashing of the files explorer.
Numerous possible causes have been found out regarding the issue that arises from either hardware or software updates. The update might not go right with the files explorer; there might be some issue with the settings of Windows 10 as it may get corrupted, the files supporting the system may be damaged, or the Shell Extensions may get malfunctioned.
Here are some ways to fix this issue and get the files explorer working:
- Getting inside the system log: Enter the “Control Panel” from the Search bar.
- Select “System Security Settings.”
- Select “Administrator Tool” and then open the “View Event Logs.”
- The “Application error log there will show you the reason for the error.
Making antivirus disabled temporarily:
- Select the “Disable” option after clicking right on the Antivirus icon.
- Set the duration for which the antivirus would be disabled.
- To check if the error is still there, start the app/program.
Cleaning the history of files explorer:
- Go to the “Control Panel” and search for “File Explorer Options” from there.
- Select the “Clear” option, followed by the “OK” option appearing on the pop-up window. This will clear out all the history.
Launching the folder windows through a different method:
- Open the “Control Panel” and search for the “File explorer options.”
- Select the “View” option and click on “Launch folder windows in a separate process” from advanced settings.
- Click “OK,” followed by “Apply.”
- Press “Windows key” along with “E” to view the Files explorer and check its working.
Changing the text size:
- Go to the “settings” and view the “System” section.
- Alter the font size according to yourself.
- This may resolve the crashing error of Files Explorer.
Making the necessary updates:
- Go to the “Settings” and select “update and security.”
- Click on “Check for updates.” Any available update would be done by the Windows itself then.
Giving your account complete permission to access the folder content:
- Open Files explorer. Select “Properties” by right-clicking on the folder.
- Select “Advanced” from the “Security” option.
- The pop-up window arrives. In that, select “Change” then enter the account name and press “Enter.”
- Tick the option stating “Replace owner on sub containers and objects” followed by pressing “Enter.”
- Going back to the “Advanced” option, click on “Add.”
- Choose the “Select a principle.” Fill the account id.
- I am setting the “Type” to allow, tick mark the “Full control” option.
- Click on “OK.”
- Again open the Files explorer to check its functioning.
Your external hard drive is normally detected by Windows without the need for any external software or system updates. There could be many possible why your external hard drive is not being detected or showing up in the Windows Explorer.
In this guide, you will find steps to regain access to your Seagate external hard drive if you are on a Windows OS. You will find out whether your Seagate external hard drive is recoverable or has become corrupted.
If after doing all of the above things, your Laptop or PC still not working properly, then you can reach out to. They provide the best laptop repair service, whether your problem is with software or hardware.
We have provided the ways that are going to help you to fix the files explorer crashing issue by yourself. Just remember one thing, apply the method that suits the issue. The internet provides a long list of such methods. It is up to you and your device what method would prove to be the best so that the problem of crashing does not occur again, and there are no further issues in the working of Files Explorer.