Security officers are in charge of the safety of the people, but indeed, they also deserve safety. They act as a barrier between the common people and unwanted situations like riots, lockouts, etc. They have to face such issues directly, so they require safety for themselves too. Security guards do their duty and safeguard people against hazardous situations by risking their own life. They are regarded as frontline warriors, so they should wear armors to protect themselves against bullets and explosives. During the times of strikes snd lockouts, they have to face people full of anger, and they literally attack whosoever comes in their way, so ballistic helmets and ballistic armors help them stay safe to a certain extent and prevent them from getting injured. There are few measures that security officers should take to protect themselves:
- Clothing: The security guards should wear a uniform that is comfortable and secure. The uniform must include armors to defend themselves against riffles, bullets, attacks, jerks, etc. The security officers have to face situations where they have to run or move, so their uniform should be such that it doesn’t restrict them from doing all these activities. Comfortable clothes and footwear are essential for security officers to handle challenging situations without any hurdle.
- Security Measures: It is essential for the security officer to be familiar with all types of security measures to use them efficiently under challenging situations. They should be aware of the actions to take under different conditions as to what to do if a fire breaks out or riots occur. Moreover, they should be mindful of measures under the law. For instance, how to catch a culprit or handle people during riots. All such actions must be taken while keeping in mind if the law allows it or not.
- Security Equipment: While on duty, the security officer is most of the time at risk of getting injured or occurrence of any unwanted situation. The security officer must carry security equipment with him while on duty to safeguard himself against such instances that can risk his life. Not only this, but he should also check frequently that the security equipment works well and f not he should get it replaced or repaired as soon as possible.
- Always be alert: An on-duty security officer should be careful and focused. He must not be lost in his world as he has the responsibility to protect the people, so if he is unable to keep his mindset stable, how will he handle critical situations. It is advisable for a responsible security officer to keep all his worries away while on-duty and do his job sincerely. He must follow the rules and regulations while patroling as these protocols are compulsory to be followed under law.
- Working environment: The security officer is assigned a particular area for patrolling and the safety of the people living there. The Security officer must be properly aware of the environment in which he is working. He must know all the lanes that turn into that area so that he can keep a proper check on the activities in his area.