Spider veins can be embarrassing, especially when people keep on asking you what caused them or why you’re not doing something to remove them. Instead of hiding them with long-sleeved blouses and trousers, you can undergo either laser or sclerotherapy procedures. Both procedures are effective and appropriate. However, your specialist will advise you to undergo sclerotherapy in Glen Rock to remove spider veins because the procedure is not as painful as laser therapy.
This is a non-surgical procedure that’s used to treat spider veins. Your doctor will inject a chemical known as a sclerosant into the affected vein. The chemical makes the sick vein collapse and dry out. The procedure is simple and takes around 15 minutes to an hour. However, the duration can vary depending on the number of affected veins and their location.
Sclerotherapy is best for people with superficial spider veins. The procedure is effective and affordable compared to laser treatment. Moreover, this is the best option for dark skin people since it doesn’t cause discoloration like the laser procedure.
Laser treatment is the best option for people who want to get rid of varicose veins and spider veins on the face. Also, it’s good for people allergic to the solution used during the sclerotherapy procedure. However, laser treatment is expensive, and the procedure is more painful. Different types of laser treatment include:
- Surface Laser Therapy: This procedure works best on small to medium varicose veins. The doctor uses different types of lasers to reach the affected veins. Although the doctor cools the skin first to avoid burning, most patients say that the procedure is painful.
- IPL: This procedure involves directing lights to the affected vein. The procedure takes about 20 minutes, but the duration can vary depending on the number of affected veins.
- Endovenous Laser Therapy: This type of laser is used to treat larger varicose veins. The doctor inserts a laser probe directly into the affected vein. When withdrawing the probe, the intense heat from the lasers drains the vein inside, making it collapse. EVLT is more effective compared to sclerotherapy.
The advantages of undergoing a sclerotherapy procedure over laser therapy
Although both procedures produce the same results, people prefer Sclerotherapy because of the following reasons:
- Pain: The heat from laser therapy damages the veins from the inside, and the patient will feel a burning sensation. On the other hand, sclerotherapy uses a chemical that doesn’t irritate the skin.
- Skin discoloration: When the skin is subjected to laser lights, the surrounding skin becomes darker.
- Treatment areas: Laser treatment is painful, so only a few spider veins can be treated in a single session. Since sclerotherapy is not painful, the doctor will remove many spider veins in a single session.
Spider and varicose veins can be unsightly, and it’s good to remove them as soon as possible. Ensure you schedule an appointment today with Progressive Spine & Sports Medicine to start your varicose-free journey. Their team will provide you with a non-surgical solution to clear away your varicose and spider veins.