If you are one of those very adventurous and spontaneous people, you probably love doing outdoor recreations like hiking and camping. Camping helps you relax and take time for yourself. Anyone can do it, but it is most beneficial to those under a lot of stress and pressure. It is a nice way to forget work and other things for a time and enjoy and connect with nature and yourself.
Of course, if you want to go camping, you need to have a complete and correct set of equipment to bring with you. Since you’ll probably be staying outdoors overnight, you need to bring something that can shelter you, like camping swags. They are made out of heavy-duty canvas that is built like a cocoon shape. They are often used as alternatives for camping tents.
Advantages of using swags rather than ordinary tents
- They are easier to set up and lighter than tents. Unlike tents, you don’t need to set up and install many things when building it. It is also very easy to pack up when you are already done. You need to roll it up after use, and you’re good to go.
- They already have built-in foam or mattresses inside, which means the load of the things you need to bring is lessened since you don’t need to bring extra beddings or sleeping bags to feel warm and comfortable.
- Camping swags are generally smaller than regular tents. Thus, they can provide better warmth at night. It can get very cold outside, so staying in a warm environment is important. Although they have less volume, they still allow for ventilation to occur. You can open the upper layer if you want more air. Built-in screen mesh is also often available in most swags, protecting you from insects and other unwanted species from entering them.
- They are flexible, durable, and very handy when you only have little space at your campsite. Swags are also tested to survive outdoors. They can last for a long time when taken care of properly.
- They are also great in terms of privacy. One type of camping swag is a single swag built for one person only, which means that you do not have to share space with other people, unlike tents. Moreover, if you want something bigger, you can always opt for double swags. Other types include dome, air, and swag bags.
Things to consider when buying swag
- Size: As mentioned, swags are designed for one or two people. You need to consider the size because the weight is directly proportional to it. The bigger the swag, the heavier it is. You also need to think about the car that you will use, will it fit a large one or will you need to choose something smaller?
- Fabric: The materials used are usually cotton, PVC, polyester, or polycotton. Cotton or canvas materials have good water resistance. They also provide better breathability. However, they can shrink and get heavy when wet. PVC and polyester are even more waterproof and more durable than cotton. They dry faster too. Lastly, polycotton is a combination of cotton and polyester; their benefits are also combined.
- Ventilation: Make sure that you choose a swag that provides good breathability and prevents condensation.
- The thickness of the mattress: If you want more comfort, choose a swag with thicker foam. It provides better insulation and a barrier from the ground. However, it is heavier than a lighter mattress. Lighter foams are more light-weight, but they tend to provide less comfort and barrier with the ground.
When you go camping, always remember the things and equipment that you have to bring with you. One of the most important things to bring is camping swag to shelter you outdoors. Before purchasing your swag, you need to consider factors like the size, fabric, ventilation, thickness of the mattress, etc.