Have you been recently feeling that your house seems odd and stuffy? Is your kid suffering from respiratory problems and sinus infections out of the blue? If you answer is yes, then you need to inspect your home for mold infestation.
It is not uncommon for mold to grow in your home; after all, all it requires is excess moisture retention. Other than the health problems, it can also seriously damage your walls and furniture, compromise the structural integrity of your home as well as ruin a possible sale on your house. If you think that a little bit of mold is not a problem and wait it out, you may have to potentially replace your roofing and renovate your walls, not to mention that you would have to spend a lot to get the entire mold removed. Here are a few things that you can follow to avoid such as extreme consequences.
- Keep an eye out for excess humidity.
This is the most important thing to keep in mind if you don’t want to bunk with fungi. All mold is caused by excess moisture retention. Ideally, the humidity in your home should be lesser than 60 percent to not allow any mold infestation. It is useful to keep a dehumidifier in your home; this absolutely ensures there is no excess moisture.
- Keep crawl spaces clean.
Crawl spaces like the attic and basement are most likely to be infested with mold, since they are damp and dark and very rarely used. Whenever you visit your basement and/or attic, check if it smelly musty and damp. Before storing things in the basement, it is a good idea to ensure there’s no mold infestation.
- Keep your bathroom dry and clean.
Bathroom ventilation is extremely important in any house. It is one of the places we frequent the most, and it can affect our health significantly. After you have finished bathing, rub down the walls and the tub with a towel to soak up the excess condensation. This is especially important if you have a habit of taking hot showers. Also, keep your bathroom window open while bathing, this allows the excess humidity to escape.
- Always let damp clothes dry outside.
Damp clothes should never be left indoors to dry, even if there is a fan switched on. These clothes have a lot of moisture which cannot escape through indoor ventilation properly. In winter, if you dry clothes indoors, ensure that the space is well-ventilated.
- Check your ventilation.
Improper ventilation can lead to mold growth in your home. All exhaust pipes and air vents should be cleaned annually to filter out dust, dirt and grime that block the airways, making it harder to moisture to escape. It is advised to turn on the kitchen chimney while cooking. If your exhaust vents release into the attic, the hot air can cause moisture retention. It is important to check for early signs of infestation so that they can be tackled timely.