Today, IoT or the Internet of Things competes with other technologies because of it’s platform-independent & robust nature. Nowadays, IoT is now helping the cloud platform because of its scalability and easier access to high-end software. The convergence of IoT and cloud structural design is believed to be dominating the research and enterprise sector for the last few years. The IoT is one solution whose demands have been manifold because of the global pandemic situation. The key approach of IoT to minimize the human intervention in performing the varied type of functions seems to be working outstandingly during the pandemic with remote setups & social distancing measures. Through cloud computing, organizations can easily make huge deployments of IoT. Cyber degree hub is a website that provides valuable details about cyber security
Security challenges Involved
We all know that the cloud provides solutions that can solve many security holes that exist in IoT. But to think, the integration of these two would be able to solve all the problems associated with these encounters, this is not true. There are circumstances where IoT and cloud convergence can expedite some security risks. Next, IoT-aided holes can create more complex problems in the cloud arena also. Find us at cyber degree hub.
There are some known security challenges faced by the organizations while forming secured secure IoT-cloud ecosystems:
- There is the risk arising out of centralizing the entry inside critical infrastructure. Integrating the cloud and IoT will considerably reduce the attack space by narrowing all incoming & outgoing traffic via API gateway in the cloud. For this, a first-rate firewall is required for a secure flow of data through the gateway. The single entry will restrict the attack space and it will attract the attention of a single target. If a potential attacker finds the right clue, this could be the very tunnel for entry inside the security infrastructure.
- The unsecured communication and data exchange between the edge and the cloud. If the endpoints or the cloud have lesser protection like authentication or encryption, this can set the access controls and integrity of data exchanged between these two points at the risk.
- The organizations should know how IoT equipment and sensors collect sensitive data that in turn shifts to a particular space that is interoperable and generally serves other clients and users in case of the public cloud. The entities should discuss where their data resides from their respective cloud providers, particularly in areas of strict capitalization.
- The IoT ecosystem where the security options like a change of default passwords, application of network segmentation, and physical securing of the devices are not properly configured or implanted can show loopholes even after cloud integration. IoT components need one key to pass the APLI gateway. In the case of IoT configuration, these endpoint devices shouldn’t store the key in plain text or snared access signature that allows limited access to the cloud without a timeout.
- There are problems faced by organizations in cloud computing. The most prevalent problem is cloud misconfiguration and other gaps or vulnerabilities: Misconfiguration opens up the opportunities for malicious actors for conducting cyber attacks like data exfiltration. In case of similar security gaps in the cloud can have serious consequences on the IoT ecosystem.
The successful integration of IoT and cloud computing would help in the manifestation of the profusion of the cloud services that power the IoT and are jointly known as IoT-cloud convergence.
Cyber degree hub is the best website for getting details about cyber security courses admission procedures.