The Centers for Disease Control has given guidelines to take to clean and disinfect surfaces in our homes and business facilities. For example, they advise disinfecting, tables, doorknobs, hard-backed chairs, phones, tablets, etc, and for businesses like restaurants, they advise using along with ordinary cleaning.
Proper cleaning and disinfecting surfaces in your home can help reduce the chances of your loved one getting . Also, reduce the options you might spread to someone else.
Tips for Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Home
Bear in mind there is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting.
- Cleaning is where you are removing dirt from a surface.
· Disinfecting is where you are killing germs (pathogens)
Studies have shown COVID-19 virus can survive on surfaces for 24 hours.Also, it can survive on plastic and stainless steel for 2 to 3 days.
It’s advisable to clean and disinfect your house, especially during this period of COVID-19.
CDC recommended people to clean and disinfect surfaces in their homes at least once every day. It will help to reduce the chances of getting COVID-19.
Where to clean and disinfect your home?
Pay attention to the below areas:
- TV Remote Controls
- Dining table, chairs, back and arms
- Light switches
- Faucets and knobs
- Bathroom counters
- Toilets(handle and seats)
- Kitchen surface
- Game Controllers
- TV remote controls
- First, ensure to wear gloves before you start cleaning and disinfecting the surfaces. Remember to throw the gloves once you finish each cleaning.
· Pay attention and ensure you have to remove dirt, dust, or debris. Then, you can start to wipe the surface with a hand towel and soapy water.
· You apply the disinfectant on the surface using a disinfectant spray or disinfectant wipes.
· During cleaning, ensure to start the areas with the least dirt moving to the regions with most soil. It will not spread dirt all over the place.
Check the EPA and follow the list of disinfectants they have recommended and note the type of virus they can kill like influenza, RSB, SARS virus, etc.
You can get disinfectant at your nearest local store, or you can decide to shop on Walmart or Amazon, etc.
It’s vital to use unexpired household bleach solutions for cleaning the surfaces. It’s useful in killing the Covid-19 virus.
How to disinfect using bleach?
- It’s essential to use bleach containing 5.25% sodium hypochlorite.
- Ensure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use it.
- First, ensure the surfaces are cleaned with water and soap (detergent).To help remove dirt, then use disinfection.
- Keep proper ventilation during and after using the bleach in a room.
- Before using, ensure the product has not passed its expiring date.
- Do not mix household bleach with other cleaners or ammonia. It will result in fumes and be harmful to breathe.
- Ensure to clean your hands once you’re done using a disinfectant.
- Ensure the lids are tightly closed when you’re not using it.
- Keep the disinfectants and fluids out of reach of children.
- Always throw away disposable items like gloves, masks (used during the cleaning).
There is no evidence to indicate people have fallen sick by eating food contaminated with the Covid-19. Remember, the Coronavirus only multiplies in an animal or human host.