The government of India introduced the FASTag facility in all major toll plazas across India’s National and State highways in 2014. It was further made mandatory for most categories of vehicles in 2021. Today, if you don’t have FASTag, you will end up paying double the toll amount as compared to what you would pay as toll if you did have one.
In this article, we discuss what a FASTag is, how you can get one online, and how you can recharge your FASTag. Read on.
Table of Contents
What is a FASTag?
FASTag is a sticker that is placed on the front windshield of your vehicle that uses radio frequency identification (RFID) technology to communicate with a toll plaza, when you cross one. The toll amount is deducted automatically and completely electronically from a linked bank account or prepaid wallet. It eliminates the need to make cash payments, reduces wait time for each vehicle at toll plazas, and makes the process of making toll payments more efficient.
Other than these benefits, it also has many environmental and social benefits such as reduction of pollution and traffic.
How to apply for a FASTag online?
FASTags are sold by most major banks, digital wallets, and are available at point of sale systems of most major toll plazas. You can follow the below-mentioned steps if applying for a FASTag through a bank:
- Visit the bank’s FASTag product page. Click on the ‘Apply now’ option
- Fill in your details and upload copies of the required documents. The documents required include the vehicle’s RC, passport size photograph, and IDs
- Pay the required amount depending upon your vehicle class. If applying through the IndusInd Bank, for regular vehicles, a nominal charge of INR 200/- is required to be paid
- Once the application is filled, you will get the FASTag delivered to your address in a few days
How to recharge your FASTag?
- FASTags can be recharged online or offline. For online recharge, you can use your debit/credit cards. All you need to do is add funds into the linked account.
- IndusInd Bank also provides the auto recharge facility wherein the FASTag is funded automatically whenever there is low balance. The amount is automatically deducted from the customer’s current/savings account.
- One can recharge the FASTag offline as well at any of their bank’s branches.
So, if you haven’t already got a FASTag for a vehicle, do apply for one as it has a number of benefits as mentioned above. Do apply for a FASTag today right here.