Any stains or scratches on the hardwood floor may compromise with its attractiveness and beauty. Usually, hardwood flooring requires a costly investment and no one would like to see it getting destroyed easily through human carelessness. However small scratches and marks are possible but one should be extra careful and engage in a regular cleaning routine to try and prevent any scratches in the first place.
Some believe that if someone has a dog, the chances of these scratches are more. Having a tendency to dig and scratch everywhere, these small pooches are especially tough on one’s cherished hardwood floors. Hence pet-friendly hardwood floors are also being taken into consideration
Here are some tips to prevent scratches on hardwood flooring are. These can also be viewed as ways of hardwood flooring maintenance:
- Take off one’s shoes: one shall ensure that one removes the outdoor footwear before walking on the wooden floor. Any dirty, wet shoes must be kept away from the hardwood floor. The habit of wearing soft, indoor slippers should be followed. You should avoid wearing spiked shoes and heels on hardwood flooring to prevent it from scratches.
- Protect the floor from outside garbage: You should ensure to keep the surroundings clean so that dirt and stains from outside premises do not enter into the house thus littering the floor. Placing clean doormats at the entrance doors is also a god way to keep the dirt and water from affecting the hardwood flooring.
- Easy movement of furniture and heavy objects: You should never drag a heavy or sharp object across a wooden floor as it increases the chances of deep scratches and dents. Various felt pads can be added at the bottom of the table and chairs to provide a protective layer between the furniture and the flooring.
- Regular mopping of the floor: This is also a very important step. You should use proper sprays and soft mopping tools to conveniently clean the floor. Periodical cleaning should be done to ensure the removal of the slightest of scratches and stains. Bona is the most highly recommended hardwood cleaner.
- Area rugs for areas where chairs are moved often: Area rugs reduce noise and can easily help in removing the incoming dust and dirt. One can make use of anti-fatigue mats which prevent splashing of water on the floor thus avoiding stains and also makes it easier on foot. The area rug pads provide comfort, style, and warmth to one’s room and also help in reducing scratches.
Hardwood flooring has many advantages and disadvantages:
- Available in various colors
- Easy to sweep
- Clean and classy looks
- More prone to water damage and scratches
Pet Friendly Hardwood Flooring
Some believe that if someone has a pet, the chances of these scratches are more. Having a tendency to dig and scratch everywhere, these small pooches are especially tough on one’s cherished hardwood floors. Hence pet-friendly hardwood floors are also being taken into consideration. Hence pet ownership to some extent is coupled with concerns regarding scratching, shedding, stains, etc. Hence there is a need for a solution to this problem. There are various types of pet friendly hardwood flooring. These include:
○ Solid wood flooring: this is known for its authenticity, timelessness, and durability. It is known to be scratch resistant and is more reliable. Harder woods like oak, maple are best suited for it. People living in Utah mostly use such kinda flooring because they are more pet lovers. If you are searching for Hardwood flooring in Utah, you are most likely to get top companies in service like – Workman Flooring.
○ Engineered wood flooring: this kind of hardwood flooring is more stable and is less likely to contract, expand when exposed to humidity, moisture and temperature. These are made of layers. The top and bottom layer is wood while the middle one is plywood.
- Tile flooring: Due to its texture and stylish look they are a major attraction among pets and come with a greater assurance of durability. It is easy to clean up during accidents and spills. Its pros and cons include:
○ More scratch resistant
○ Easy to clean
○ Cold and hard surface slippery in nature
- Laminate flooring: Provides for easy cleanup. They are smooth and durable and provide a very stylish look which is a major attraction for the pets and outsiders. Its pros and cons include:
■ Easy maintenance
■ Less noticeable scratches
■ Slippery surface
■ Not long-lasting as hardwood