There are times in life when things do not always go the way that you expect them to. Marriage is supposed to be one of those times when life is supposed to be spent with the person you love for the rest of your life. But there are those moments when a spouse can be unfaithful or abusive and the only option left for you is to leave. If you are looking to file for a divorce and need to know how to file for divorce, then here are some steps that you will want to know before starting the process.
also read: This Is How to Hire the Right Divorce Lawyer
When the time comes for you to make that first step there are some things that you will want to know so you can understand the path that you are about to embark on.
- The first step along the path to divorce is to know where you need to go to file for divorce. Usually, you will want to head to the local county clerk’s office to start the process. There are laws in place that you will have to obey such as a mandatory separation time to think through your decision. Every state’s laws are different so be sure to check with your county clerk’s office.
- You may have already separated, but this would be the next logical step. This could be required in your state. If that is the case, you will need proof of your separation before heading to the next step.
- You will need to prepare a divorce packet. This means you will need to fill out the divorce paperwork. You will have to know everything about the marriage and who it will affect. You will also need to dictate if there are children involved and any material possessions that will need to be sifted through.
- After you have the paperwork completed, you will need to file the packet with the court. You may also need to have the packet notarized before the court will accept the paperwork. Make sure to make three copies of the divorce papers. You will keep one, your spouse gets one and the other goes to the filing.
- Next, you will need to ask for temporary orders regarding family and financial matters. The judge may need to grant spousal or alimony payments or injunctions if violence was even an issue.
- You will need to serve the papers to your spouse. Your state will have laws that dictate how it is to be done. Options might include hand delivery, mail, third party, or even publication.
- You will need to show proof that the papers were served through one of the approved methods.
There are a lot of reasons why people will want to seek divorce. By following these steps, you can get a divorce started without much effort. If you have any other questions about the procedures of filing for a divorce, you will need to consider enlisting the services of a divorce lawyer. They will be able to help answer your questions and help you through the process.