Contributions count as one of the primary resources of nonprofits to extend their services. You can use different ways to collect donations, and one of them is adding a donate button to your website.
Before designing the button, you should think about the web button’s size, color, position, and so on. In this article, you’ll learn the important features of the donate button and the way to set it up correctly on your website.
How to get the best donation button?
Before you get into the details of adding a donation button to your website, you should know the characteristics of a good donation button. This will help you get the best donation button design for your website.
Create an easily accessible donate button
Any visitor should be able to find the donate button as soon as they enter the website. Preferably, the donate button should be presented on the home page and must grab visitors’ attention. One common practice is making the donation button orange or red as they are easily visible.
Use proper donation calls
Sometimes a little persuasion is needed for visitors to make donations. Hence, it’s essential to state clearly your motive behind asking for donations, especially for nonprofits. Use inspiration as the key element when it comes to donation calls. Visitors should feel that their donations will make a difference in someone’s life.
Make donation process simple
When it comes to donation, it should be a simple and quick process. Visitors don’t want to go through long texts and multiple pages just to make a donation. Hence, ensure that when visitors click on the donation button, they’re redirected to the donation page instantly. The process should have only necessary steps such as the payment method, amount, name, etc. The more straightforward the process is, the more users will complete it.
The donation page
Your job is not over when someone clicks on the donation button. The next step is having a good donation page. The key is keeping a minimalistic design. It should be designed in a way to keep the focus on the donation rather than anything else. There should be no distractions. The owner should provide a compelling reason as to why these donations are necessary.
The number of images should be less or not having an image at all is also sufficient. If you are using images, ensure that it is an image that delivers a powerful message to the viewers that is in the benefit of your organization.
Even the main form should only include the most crucial fields such as the name, postal code, email address, and payment details. Leave out secondary details such as a second phone number, middle name, or others. These details have little to no value in the donation procedure and merely increase the number of steps for the individuals.
How to add a donation button to a website?
Probably the best and the most straightforward way to add a donate button to your website is using a fundraising software service that makes the entire process simple and efficient.
Using fundraising software services has some huge advantages:
- Having coding experience is not necessary. You get a predefined code that can be modified to meet your requirements without directly changing the code.
- You can make a donation button that is in line with your website’s design.
- There are many other advanced features, including security compliance, multi-language support, and multiple payment methods.
The steps might vary slightly depending on the services you are utilizing, but generally, they are as follows:
- First, you need to set up an account and go to the fundraising software creation page.
- Check for the option “Tools” or anything similar to that. Some websites might call it a “Campaign.” Here you will find the option to create donate buttons.
- Next, you need to enter the details about your organization, including your country, language, name, logo, and others. Some might even offer you to select the design of the button or add your own if you wish. The currency and the amount of donations can also be modified as per your needs.
- There can be some optional features to modify (for example, regarding donor info.)
- Once customization is done, all you have to do is to get the code.
- The last step is to paste the code into your site’s HTML page and test the donate button whether it is functioning as expected or not.
If necessary, you can always edit, manage or create similar donate buttons in your account on the fundraising software site.
Fundraising and donations hold such high significance for nonprofits that the best efforts should be made to make them efficient and convenient for donors and organizations. Thus, having a proper donate button on the websites is so important.