Outer space and its unknown mysteries intrigue us like nothing else. We all love watching space movies and all those unusual adventures and sudden turns of events associated with it. Celestial darkness, infinity, and beyond have been captured beautifully and realistically by many acclaimed filmmakers of the world. A lot of them are memorable and iconic, haunting us with their amazing computer graphics, imageries, visual effects, and fantastic multimedia technologies. Some of the best movies made in Hollywood are space movies and it’s surely an unforgettable experience watching these masterpieces. Many of us have seen several of these movies but it’s still a treat to watch them time and again.
Although there are countless numbers of blockbuster space movies made to date, check out the list below for the best space movies which you cannot afford to miss:
- Alien: This 1979 Ridley Scott movie was a smash hit and was truly a cinematic icon making Sigourney Weaver a popular name. This nail-biting suspense film depicts strange unearthly creatures stalking and killing a spaceship crew. Alien definitely leaves one wanting for more giving birth to sequels thereafter.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey: Considered to be among the greatest sci-fi movies of all times, this is Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece displaying wonderful imageries and accurate attention to detail. It deserves to be relished like fine wine!
- Apollo 13: The pairing of Ron Howard and Tom Hanks makes this incredible Oscar-winning drama a must-watch. The realistic portrayal of the crisis, the actors getting into the skin of the characters, the action, and the spacesuits look dramatic and real with the words, “Houston, we have a problem,” becoming almost immortal!
- Star Wars (All of them): This George Lucas title with its prequels and sequels don’t need any introduction and is a cult classic that can be defined as ‘space opera’ with groundbreaking special effects. It remains one of the highest-grossing films of all time.
- The Black Hole: It’s an exceptional sci-fi work by Disney with an impressive star cast. The film about a research team encountering a missing ship hovering on the edge of a black hole has a surreal ending and never had a remake.
- Gayniggers from Outer Space (space movie 1992): Well, if you couldn’t tell from the title, this is a film that isn’t exactly meant to be taken seriously. It also happens to be about homosexual black men from another planet.
So if you’re a movie aficionado, you mustn’t ignore these titles. The creepy horror, technological brilliance, and realistic depiction of the strange happenings will keep you engrossed from beginning to end. Enjoy the thrilling adventures and get lost in space in your imaginary spaceship!