Lighting columns are extremely important. They serve various purposes. One of the main reasons why we need them is because they help save lives. If you are looking for a lighting column, chances are that you feel overwhelmed by the abundance of options. It can be difficult to decide from the many lighting columns. However, there is no need to worry as this post aims to help you make that final decision. It sheds light on the different types of options that are available. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get started.
What Are Lighting Columns?
Before we proceed with how you can choose lighting columns, it is important that you know what they are. In the simplest of words, lighting columns are columns that provide lighting to ensure that accidents do not take place. We all require sufficient lighting to avoid any inconveniences. Hence, lighting columns have become a necessity today. The safest lighting column is easily the best choice as it would not only stop colliding vehicles from causing harm but would also help protect nearby pedestrians.
What You Need to Know?
There are different types of passive safety support structures. It is crucial to know about their classification. They are divided into three different categories as mentioned below.
- High Energy Absorbing Columns: These columns help decelerate vehicles at most. However, they also tend to cause a lot of damage to the colliding vehicle. This results in the occupants also suffering from injuries. It is the right choice when secondary danger is involved or an obstacle is in the way.
- Low Energy Absorbing Columns: Another type of column that you need to be aware of is the low energy-absorbing column. It usually bends beneath the vehicle naturally when a crash occurs before the structure breaks off. It is one of the most cost-effective solutions available. Hence, it is commonly selected for country roads.
- Non-Energy Absorbing Columns: These types of columns enable the vehicle to drive but at a much lower speed after the crash has occurred. This helps ensure that the occupant is safe and does not sustain any injuries. However, a secondary accident may occur if there are obstacles in the way such as trees behind the lighting column itself.
Tips to Choose the Right Lighting Columns
To help you select the right lighting columns, we have shared some of the best tips below.
- Ask the supplier for a valid certificate to check it specifies safety classification. It should also state the most recent standard.
- Ensure that the certificate is signed by the relevant body.
- Ask for applicable test reports.
- Get a report of the low-speed test.
- Make sure that the columns get installed carefully.
Once you have gone over this post, you will know everything about lighting columns and will be able to decide which one to get. In addition to selecting the right lighting column, make sure that you take proper care of it.