We will be talking about finding the balance between Social Media’s positives and negatives in this article.
Social media is where you connect with people, share your knowledge, or learn from others. Well, the usage levels and the way it is being used aren’t exactly what it’s supposed to be. Social networking algorithm is a system where one social media user’s feed is based on what is relevant to the content in other posts they liked or view or follow.
Well, Don’t you love it when you can lie in your bed on a dewy Sunday, under the sheets, talking to your loved ones or scrolling through Instagram lazily? Have 8 bottles of water, 3 boxes of pizzas, and 6 kinds of pasta and you are good to go!
The positives and negatives
You know that it is important to have balance in life. Yes, you cannot do it all the time but since it is important, you should try to. Just like everything, social media possesses its own set of pros and cons and you can take some time to think about them.
- Connect with new people, or reconnect with someone you lost touch with.
- You can help raise awareness about certain matters.
- Use it to advertise your brand and gain fame.
- People might use the platform to defame others or stalk people.
- Too much time on social media might cause distance between your family and you.
- Peer pressure affects one’s mental health.
- No possible method to verify a user’s identity.
- Set an Alarm: to record the time you spend using social media, and to prioritize more important tasks, such as studying or work.
- Take up a Hobby: If you come across something interesting you should try it out in real life. That will not only make you learn new skills but will also become your source of entertainment.
- Drawing the line: Sharing important or precious moments of your life makes you feel nice but when the line is crossed that can be harmful. A balance between public and private life should always be maintained.
- Cherish Real Interactions: Instead of seeing the lives of your friends online, be a part of them, in real life! Go give your mom a hug, and have a heart-to-heart talk, with a loved one.
- Stay Vigilant: Don’t forget to take heed of the privacy policies so that your personal information doesn’t get weaponized against you. That way, your personal life serenity won’t get dilapidated by anonymous blackmailers.
- Be Kind, and be rewarded: Do your part, by sharing positive content on your social media. Use king words, and always remember that there is a person, just like you on the other end of the screen. Avoid comment battles and peer pressure.
- Head outside: Give your eyes a rest, and take a walk around the block. Be mindful and enjoy the sights and smells of the outdoors.
Why is it important to find balance? Finding a balance is extremely important so that you don’t entrap yourself in the lairs of social media for hours together and maintain a healthy relationship with people around you. There are better ways to utilize your day, than being in front of a screen the whole day! Not to mention, that it is great for your mental and physical well-being. So head out, and get some fresh air!