There’s nothing more adorable or more endearing than watching your kids enjoying reading, playtime, tea time or coloring time in a miniature desk and chair, looking all serious and absorbed like the cute mini-adults that they are. However, there’s more to all the cuteness than meets the eye. Here’s why they deserve the best kids’ table and chairs, plus some helpful tips on choosing the perfect set.
Benefits of a Miniature Table-and-Chairs Set for Your Tots
Whether it is for the bedroom or the playroom, your kids will certainly enjoy having their own kiddie table and chairs set.
- Giving your kids their own space for the activities they enjoy best is one of the best gifts you can bring into their childhood. With this simple act, you are asserting their independence and autonomy and introducing to them a sense of responsibility. At an early age, you can begin training them to clear up the mess they made after each activity, whether it’s eating, playing, coloring or reading.
- An ergonomically designed chair promotes good posture. The right chair height is when your kids can be properly seated with both feet safely planted flat to the ground, with their knees bent at a comfortable 90-degree angle. Oversized tables and chairs can sometimes be frustrating and often dangerous for little bodies. With a set of the right size and height, bumps and bruises that come with accidental falls are largely kept at bay.
- With their own table, they can be as free and messy as kids can be, without you worrying about them wreaking irreparable havoc on your precious furniture. At the end of the day, cleaning crayons, paint and clay from finished wood can prove to be a stressful affair.
How to Choose the Perfect Set
When buying a set of kids’ table and chairs, here are some features worth considering.
- Choose the appropriate size in reference to the particular space you intend the set to be installed.
- Choose a set with the right height suitable to your children’s height and age. Ideally, a chair wherein a child’s feet can be safely and comfortably rested on the ground is best.
- After choosing what wood type you prefer, consider cleaning requirements. After all, it is expected that your kids will make a regular mess of it from dried clay, crayons, paint, and not to mention stains and spills from drinks, candy, chocolate and whatnot.
- Consider the number of kids who would use the table. Adjust the number of chairs and the table size accordingly if there are multiple siblings or if you expect the occasional playdates.
- If you plan on sitting with them during playtime, you might want to consider buying sturdier chairs that can safely carry adult weight without breaking.
- For safety, make sure to buy a set with rounded edges.
- If you wish to have a set that can also be used outdoors, choose a water-resistant set.
- Decide on the shape of the table. Will it be round, square, oval or rectangle?
- Decide if you want a painted set or one with natural tones and grains.
- Consider what material the set is made of. You can choose the more lightweight and cheaper composite wood if you’re on a tighter budget. Or you can choose the sturdier but pricey solid wood if money is no object.