Menstruating people may experience the pain of endometriosis, which is a prevalent but unfortunately underdiagnosed illness. According to estimates, 1 in 10 women (about 1 in 10 – and that is a conservative estimate) have endometriosis. Menstrual cramps are incredibly painful or incapacitating. Here, let’s have a look at endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda and additional symptoms like:
- Sexual activity can be painful
- Exercise-related pain
- heavy or inconsistent bleeding
- nausea, bloating or vomiting
- during menstruation, lower back or leg pain
- allergies, migraines, or increased exhaustion during menstruation
- difficulty conceiving, infertility, or repeated miscarriages
What is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition that affects women’s reproductive organs and results in the growth of endometrial cells, which mimic the lining of the uterus, outside of the uterus. The pelvis, ovaries, and fallopian tubes are where endometrium-like tissue most frequently develops. It may spread behind the reproductive system in extreme circumstances.
Pelvic pain, particularly during menstruation, is the most typical sign of endometriosis. Women with endometriosis can have acute pain that can be challenging to manage, as opposed to the unpleasant cramping many women endure throughout their periods.
Causes of Endometriosis:
Although the precise cause of endometriosis is unknown, the following factors may contribute:
- Retrograde Menstrual Flow, or the Sampson Hypothesis, contends that endometriosis is brought on by menstrual blood flowing out of the fallopian tubes and into the abdomen in the wrong direction. Retrograde menstruation, however, doesn’t seem to be a very uncommon event (76–90% of all women are thought to experience this), and it doesn’t explain why endometriosis persists over time and worsens in some women while not at all in others.
- Autoimmune/Altered Immunity: According to several recent studies, endometriosis may be accompanied by immune system malfunction, inflammation, or an autoimmune component. Although it doesn’t explain the underlying reason, this may contribute to the disease’s progression. Studies indicate that compared to the general population, those who have endometriosis suffer from a disproportionately high rate of hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, pain syndromes, autoimmune illnesses, allergies, and asthma. Additionally, the endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda explains that the tissues affected by endometriosis display altered hormone properties and intensified inflammatory reactions.
- Environmental Toxicants – Pollutants like phthalates and dioxins have been hypothesized to cause certain cell alterations, which may then lead to an abnormal immune response, allowing the disease to spread.
- Estrogen Dominance: The typical diets, sedentary lifestyles, and environmental exposure to xenoestrogens and plastics in North America create the conditions for “estrogen dominance,” which encourages estrogen’s influence on endometriosis tissue. According to research done on mice, estrogen can cause the immune system to respond inappropriately. Estrogen dominance may cause immune system changes, which in turn may speed up the onset and/or progression of endometriosis.
- Genetics – The existence of specific genes may cause abnormal cell migration during womb development, which may subsequently result in endometriosis. There is a strong genetic component to endometriosis, with women 7 times more likely to get it themselves if they have a family member who has the condition.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis
According to Ayurveda, many plants can balance hormones. Different female hormone precursors are present in these plants. For instance endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda, the plant Ashoka contains phytoestrogens, which are analogues and precursors to the female hormone estrogen. Like Shatavari, other herbs also have comparable effects. The natural herb curcumin has anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and cancer-preventive properties.
Herbs are used in medicines to support immune system strength, which in turn helps glands operate properly and maintain hormonal balance. Ayurvedic medicine describes effective herbal treatments for endometriosis. The most beneficial herbs are Arjuna, Lodhra, Aloe Vera, Ashoka, and Shatavari. Here are a few herbs explained:
- Shallaki (Boswellia serrata)
It is a well-known herb that is used to treat several conditions, including pain, osteoarthritis, and muscular aches. It serves as a replacement for contemporary painkillers. Boswellic acids, an anti-inflammatory terpene, are present in this plant. It stops the deterioration of the surrounding connective tissues and inhibits the formation of inflamed areas in endometriosis. It may be found all over India and is used in numerous herbal products, including Boswellia Curcumin Capsules.
- Ashoka (Saraca Indica)
Managing menstruation disruptions has several advantages. It reduces menstruation pain and assists in regulating the female menstrual cycle. It has excellent effects on the female hormonal system. It is helpful in the creation of Pradrantak Churna and Female Health Support Capsules.
- Curcumin (Curcuma longa)
One of the key components of turmeric, or Curcuma longa, is curcumin. This is one of the most used spices in Indian cooking. As it is used to treat a variety of health issues including endometriosis treatment in Ayurveda and is well known for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and anticancer activities. It is utilized for a variety of health issues, such as pain and wounds. It is a potent antioxidant that cleanses the body of impurities. Boswellia Curcumin Capsules are one herbal product that uses it.
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa)
In cases of heavy menstruation, painful menstruation, and delayed menstruation, this herb is highly beneficial. According to Ayurveda, pitta vitiation causes significant bleeding. It calms pitta because of its cooling (sheeta) and illuminating (laghu) qualities. It helps with all gynecological issues. It is helpful in the creation of Pradrantak Churna and Female Health Support Capsules.