Before installing underfloor heating in their home, many people question whether it will be compatible with their current flooring types. Although this is a valid concern, you don’t need to worry. The underfloor heating installation process underneath carpet is possible with a few simple considerations.
Table of Contents
Can you use underfloor heating with carpet?
Quite simply put, yes you can. Underfloor heating is an excellent match for tiled or wooden floors but can also be installed underneath carpet without any issues. Whilst you won’t get the same level of heat or the distinctly warm feeling underfoot, underfloor heating beneath carpets will still provide a cosy feel. Many people choose to use carpet with their underfloor heating as they prefer the aesthetic of carpets to hardwood flooring.
Which carpets are best suited to underfloor heating?
When installing underfloor heating in carpeted areas there are a few things to consider. These include:
- Carpets with the perfect TOG rating – TOG or ‘Thermal Overall Grade’ is used to measure product insulation capabilities. You should aim to use a carpet with a rating of around 1.5 when combining with underfloor heating
- Wool carpets – these are most likely to be your first choice when installing underfloor heating with carpets, thanks to their excellent insulating ability. As woollen carpets also pick up less dust, they will also be a welcome addition to your home
Which types of carpet are not suitable for underfloor heating?
Typically, the majority of carpets are compatible with underfloor heating. However, one thing to consider is the thickness of the product. Heavy yarns or thick and dense materials should be avoided where possible as it could negatively impact the under floor heating potential.
Which carpeted areas of my home are compatible with underfloor heating?
Underfloor heating beneath carpets is especially well suited to large family areas that require a little extra warmth. These include:
- Lounge and dining rooms – if your lounge is carpeted then you can bring an extra level of warmth and cosiness to this area by installing underfloor heating. This could completely transform how and when your room is used during colder months and reduce the need to wear extra layers. Dining rooms may also benefit from underfloor heating to help maintain heat during family mealtimes
- Bedrooms – if your bedroom gets a little chilly in colder months then underfloor heating could be a fantastic option for you. Underfloor heating beneath carpets is the perfect way to ensure that your room still feels cosy and peaceful, yet remains at the ideal temperature consistently
- Hallways – hallways are prone to being draughty and cold during autumn and winter. Choosing to heat your hallways using underfloor heating leaves plenty of space and reduces the need for large and bulky radiators
The choice when installing underfloor heating in your home or business premises may simply come down to personal preference in most cases. So, when arranging your quotes, be sure to look at all of the different options and choose the one that is best suited to your family and lifestyle.