If you have been involved in an accident, you may feel overwhelmed from dealing with insurance companies on top of taking care of your health. An attorney who specializes in injury law can mean the difference between having extra stress and being able to focus on getting better. Continue reading to find out why hiring a personal injury lawyer is often a better option than handling a personal injury claim on your own. Find out more about us by clicking the link.
What does a personal injury lawyer do?
Lawyers who focus on personal injury and accident law help their clients receive compensation for injuries they suffered in an accident, at work, due to medical malpractice, and other factors. They are experienced in tort law, which covers situations that occurred due to negligence. Here are some ways in which a lawyer can help you:
- Explains your rights
- Provides you with legal advice during the entire process
- Represents you if the case ends up in court
- Investigates the accident or place where the injury occurred, so you have all necessary information
- Connects you to medical professionals who can provide expertise for your claim
- Determines the correct amount of compensation you deserve
- Deals with filing forms with the insurance companies and the court when needed
- Negotiates a settlement for you
What are a personal injury attorney’s credentials?
All lawyers, regardless of their field, must have an undergraduate degree and a law degree. They must pass the bar exam in the state in which they plan to practice. Some lawyers may receive additional certifications, such as completing the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification to become a civil trial specialist. In some states, lawyers who want to focus on personal injury should also pass the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination. Successful lawyers will also need strong oral and written communication skills, negotiation skills, and the ability to handle stress under pressure.
What are some reasons why I would need a personal injury attorney?
There are many reasons why someone would need a lawyer who is experienced in injury law. Here are a few situations where having a lawyer handle your claim is a better option than filing on your own:
- Disabling injuries that are long-term or permanent have complicated claims. An experienced lawyer will help you navigate the process so that you get the most compensation possible.
- Medical malpractice claims have complex legal and medical regulations that are beyond the knowledge of the general public. When dealing with the medical community, having a lawyer on your side is essential.
- Sometimes insurance companies will refuse a claim. When this happens, an expert in accident law can help you fight for your rights.
- Severe injury claims include factors such as medical bills and time needed to recover, which can result in a wide compensation range. Lawyers can help you get the highest amount.
- Exposures to toxins are difficult to prove and need scientific evidence. An experienced lawyer can get that evidence for you.
- For many accidents, it can be difficult to determine who was at fault. You need an experienced professional willing to defend you if you are unfairly blamed for the accident.
- Claims become more complicated as multiple parties get involved. A lawyer can build your case and handle several insurance companies at once.
How do I choose an accident lawyer?
Once you have decided to hire a lawyer, you need to find the right lawyer. Here are some tips:
- Look for a law firm that specializes in accident claims and other personal injury claims, such as workers’ compensation. You also want a lawyer who only represents plaintiffs and who doesn’t represent insurance companies.
- The lawyer you choose should have a license to practice in the state where you live or had the accident.
- Read reviews online from current and former clients to get a sense of whether they are satisfied with how their case was handled.
- Check with the state bar association to see if the lawyer you are considering has ever faced any disciplinary action.
- Schedule an initial consultation with everyone on your final list. Most lawyers offer the first consultation for free.
The next time you are involved in an accident, hire an accident lawyer to make the claims process easier.