Every household has aging adults who need care and support. They could be affected by the minor discomforts of the body or have severe ailments. These aged adults could have dementia or Alzheimer’s or borderline depression and might need extra care and support from their home members. As a family member, even if you want to care for them, you probably aren’t equipped with the know-how and experience. You can either choose a home care service or an assisted living depending on your convenience, budget and patient condition.
Today, assisted living and home care have become popular services for aging adults, and both have their benefits. It’s a matter of choice and requirement that makes you choose.
A home care service
Ideally, not every aging adult needs to move to a separate home care facility when you opt-in for this service. There is a provision where you can opt-in for the home care professional by making the patient stay at home. The home caregiver here either visits the patient for a day or for a few stipulated hours to take charge of the patient and help them live a better life. To know more about this, you can check out a home care agency in Brooklyn, NY.
Some of the crucial advantages of home care services are:
- Constant companion – Your ailing family member who is an aging adult will have a continuous company to help them carry out the daily chores. In case the patient is bedridden, then the home care professional can assist the patient in carrying out necessary activities and check whenever assistance is needed. The caregiver also acts as a confidante with whom the patient can talk and feel better.
- Outdoor errands – If your family member is partially unwell, the home caregiver can act as an assistant. They can accompany them when they step outside to carry out their daily chores, like shopping for groceries, clothes, and utensils. The caregiver can help the patient pay the bills, carry the groceries, manage the packets, drive a car, cross the street, and return home safely and sound.
- Taking medicines – Aging adults often confuse the medications that they are supposed to take. The home caregiver can keep a tab on the drugs and remind them to take it on time. In extreme cases, the caregiver is ultimately accountable to ensure that the patient consumes the medicine.
- Monitoring the patient – It is one of the home caregiver’s crucial duties, whether the patient is partially or entirely ill. Monitoring the patient means that the caregiver needs to have a vigilant eye at all levels and checklist whether the patient is relapsing or is getting better. It is essential to monitor whether the patient is getting worse in mental ailments, staying at home, or is recuperating.
Usually, home care services have a higher cost depending on the patient’s condition and ailment severity. But if you book a home care service for an entire day, you get a discount instead of a few hours.
Assisted living communities
There are times where people misinterpret assisted living communities as a nursing home. The concept is much different, and here the aging adults can choose their accommodation units based on their budget and requirement. Family members can opt-in for an assisted living either when the patient is in a condition that they can’t sustain at home or can’t afford home care service. People need to shift the aging adults to an assisted living community because they are relocating, making space for another member impossible. It is right for nuclear families where members are struggling to earn a decent living. To know more about this, you can check out assisted living communities near you.
The advantages of assisted living communities
- Like-minded individuals of the same age bracket – are among the most significant advantages of assisted living communities. Aging adults are not alone. They get to mix with like-minded people and share their stories and stay engaged during their stay.
- There is assistance – The assisted living communities provide caregivers and helpers who assist aging adults in several daily chores and other activities. There is a meal provided and help on medication as well.
- Community activities –The assisted living units arrange for multiple cultural activities and other events that help aging adults get involved. It boosts their spirit and enables them to stay motivated and also get to know one another better.
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s care – There is provision for dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other mental ailments. The caregivers get experienced in treating patients who are slightly critical and challenging.
In terms of living better in-home care or assisted living communities, it entirely depends on the patient’s condition and mentality. Both the facilities get equipped to provide the necessary assistance to the patients and their family members.