Are you starting out as a fleet owner or considering starting your own fleet? Do you want to ensure the running and operations of your fleet run as smoothly as possible? One of the most important aspects of fleet management to consider is fleet tracking. There are both legal and logistical reasons GPS tracking is essential for your fleet business. In the following post we will discuss GPS tracking, how it works, the benefits of it for you as a fleet manager, and the reasons it is a necessary tool for overseeing your fleet.
GPS Tracking- How It Works
GPS tracking uses the global positioning system to give real-time data for fleet tracking regarding information such as vehicle location, driver activity and distance travelled. This information can then be analysed and provides the opportunity for managers to oversee their fleet efficiently and accurately. Making use of GPS tracking can hugely benefit a company as tracking data can be used to make changes to the productivity of a fleet, avoid mistakes, and improve customer satisfaction.
Benefits Of GPS Tracking For Your Business
There are a huge number of benefits to utilising GPS tracking and below we have listed what these are and how they can help to both protect and streamline your fleet:
- Mileage Tracking And Fuel Consumption- keep accurate records of vehicle mileage and fuel consumption and avoid higher tax payments than necessary. By tracking vehicle usage and mileage, maintenance can also be planned ahead and organized according to GPS data analysis.
- Monitor Driver Behavior- make sure drivers are not using vehicles for travel outside of work and pick up on any suspicious behavior or usage that may require action.
- Improve Operations and Efficiency- ensure that operation times are met, and timetables are being followed correctly, get useful information on the best routes and roads for drivers to take and cut down on travel time and distance.
- Reduce Admin Labour- avoid having to manually contact drivers individually to enquire about location and whether they are meeting deadlines.
- Helps With Invoicing– time spent on locations can be easily tracked and timed to provide accurate information for invoices, as well as providing proof of services.
- Better Productivity– comparing the information fed back from GPS tracking of your fleet allows you to compare performance with competitors, regarding efficiency, time keeping and customer service.
- Prevent Theft- vehicles fitted with GPS tracking prevents the likelihood of theft, and the ability to track down stolen vehicles.
When using fleet tracking, you need to choose a solution that will give you all these benefits and more. FleetGO uses cutting-edge technology to deliver GPS tracking that will save you time and help you to manage your team.
GPS Tracking And Customer Service
Customer service and the happiness of your current or future customers is the cornerstone to a successful fleet business. By making use of your fleet’s GPS tracking and the data feedback, you can make sure deadlines are being met, orders are arriving on time, and customer expectations are being met, depending on the services provided by your fleet.
Cost Of Installing GPS Tracking Systems Versus Cost-cutting Benefits
Many fleet owners will find that the initial cost of having to install GPS tracking systems in their vehicles will pay off in the long term due to the cost-saving benefits they can provide if utilised correctly. Potential savings in fuel, maintenance and admin costs mean that GPS tracking can ultimately end up saving your business money- on top of streamlining day-to-day running of your fleet.
Legalities of GPS tracking
As a fleet business owner you will be responsible for making sure your fleet is following legal obligations. You will need to ensure drivers are not exceeding the maximum driving hours and are taking the required breaks whilst ensuring your business is following EU rules and regulations. GPS tracking can help you avoid fines and legal action should your fleet be breaking any rules or regulations surrounding fleet driving limitations.
GPS Tracking Analysis Software And Its Additional Benefit
When discussing GPS tracking it is also worth us mentioning the use of GPS tracking software alongside it. This will make the processing of the data you receive from the GPS tracking more streamlined and effective. Instead of having to manually work through information about your fleet from the data, the software will do the work for you, saving time and potentially money in the long run, especially if you want to avoid having to hire further admin team members to do the work instead. It can additionally save time both for your workload and help to create a more organized, efficient fleet.
Amongst other essentials, GPS tracking is one of the first aspects to consider when starting up a fleet company and can exponentially support and improve the day-to-day running and management of your drivers and vehicles. We hope the information provided in this guide to GPS tracking has proved useful to you in setting up your new venture.