Your skin is the largest organ of the body and very important for overall well-being. Its primary function is tactile reception, and the skin reaction is direct on receiving emotional stimuli. There are many hypotheses regarding the relationship between skin diseases and psychological elements.
It is the subcategory of dermatology that works on the interaction between your skin and mind. You will be surprised to know that dermatological problems can have a deep impact on your psychological structure. The knowledge is essential if you have been suffering from chronic skin disease for a considerable period and you are also under tremendous mental stress.
Skin and psychiatry
Connecting the two disciplines, namely dermatology and psychology, will be a complex procedure involving the interplay between the immune system and the neuroendocrine system. Skin is a crucial aspect of psychiatry as it is responsive to emotional stimuli and can express emotions like shame, anger, fear, and frustration. There exists a close relationship between the skin and the brain since both have the same ectodermal origin, and the same set of neurotransmitters and hormones affect both.
1 Poor self-esteem
One of the most common problems you will notice in most people suffering from chronic skin diseases is the lack of self-esteem. If you are also the victim of a skin problem like eczema, you will know how embarrassing it feels to each part of the body continuously, even in public, and become the topic of every poor joke. If it is a genetic problem, then the symptoms might be under control with treatment but usually do not heal completely in every case.
2 Lacking confidence
Imagine the situation when you are entering an interview room, and the back of your thighs are itching continuously. Will you have the confidence to face the interview? There will always be an irritation in the body, which will send neural impulses to all other parts. Your expression and ways will undoubtedly be lacking the confidence that you usually have. The poor confidence level can become the cause of losing many golden opportunities in life.
Just as stress can be a crucial reason for developing skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis, the reverse is also true. You have to talk about your skin conditions with an expert to know how to deal with mental stress for a long time.
- You can have to compromise with social outings as you feel that everyone is staring at the red patches on your skin and making up all stories in their minds when bearing the disease in the body and the stress of facing judgmental people.
- Whenever there is some plan of a new endeavor, you tend to back out thinking of all the limitations you got as a reward from the skin problem. You might also feel shy to share with others about your skin condition.
But stress will aggravate the condition, and you have to suffer more.
The state of anxiety is always a mental disturbance. You are anxious to know whether the skin disease will heal or it will stay forever. If it is permanent, then how are you going to lead a normal life? And thus starts another episode of anxiety. Several such thoughts cause a panic attack, which will have an adverse effect on your health.
- Always encourage yourself and believe the fact that you will get well soon. Hope makes people achieve even the impossible. If the brain believes that you will heal, it can have a miraculous effect on the healing procedure.
- To prevent further panic attacks, you have to be social. You need to open up to friends and family, share your thoughts with them and share the knowledge about the disease too. People won’t avoid you once they know that skin problems like psoriasis or eczema are not contagious.
There are many reasons for the onset of depression, and the chronic skin problem is just one of the many reasons. If you avoid people to avoid the myriad questions you have to face about the disease, you are making a mistake. As the psychologists say, you have to open up instead of locking yourself at home. Doing all activities while sitting idle will only make you feel more depressed.
Try various healing techniques.
There are many products available nowadays that can improve the condition and symptoms significantly. Select a skincare company backed by science to quickly use various skincare products that soothe the symptoms and reduce the skin condition. The herbal products have no side effects and never cause any harm to the skin.
Meet the psychologist
If you think that you are slowly getting into a state of permanent depression, you have to meet a psychologist or a psychodermatologist immediately. The professional must have thorough knowledge about skin diseases, the causes, and whether the condition is treatable.
- First, you need to accept that you are suffering from a condition, and you need to undergo the necessary treatment to get well.
- Consultation with an expert dermatologist is mandatory to diagnose the disease, know the causes, and start the medication.
- You also have to improve the mental strength and prepare to go through hard times. Unless you become strong mentally, the tension of growing skin problems or the constant irritation on the skin will affect you mentally and physically.
- You can start meditating, for that works well to get over the anxiety and prevent panic attacks.
Unless you start loving yourself with all the flaws, you can never turn confident enough to face the world despite your chronic disease. Take good care of yourself and eat healthily. Nutritious food will uplift your mood and provide Vitamin to the skin, which will always keep the infections at bay. With the help of the psychologist and dermatologist, you can bounce back to normal life and happy state once again.