If you own and drive a car daily, you know how crucial brakes are when it comes to functionality of your car. If the brakes are not taken care of or looked after, they may call for a disaster. Driving with bad brakes means inviting your own death. Besides, many of you don’t realize how your driving skills can impact the brakes of your car and their lifespan.
Multiple factors contribute to the lifespan of brakes. Mostly your car does not require a brake replacement until you have driven it for more than seventy thousand miles. However, longevity can be reduced depending upon various factors.
Moreover, if the condition of the brakes is worst, you must buy brakes and chassis from a certified auto parts store. Remember that the quality of rotor and brake pads also affect the longevity of your car brakes.
Here are some tips for maintaining the brakes of your car-
1) Don’t stick to speed always- Speed is the enemy of your car brakes; therefore, you must drive on a moderate speed. The more will be the speed, the higher will be the energy used, and more power will be the brakes required for the car to stop. That may lead to internal brake damages, leading to a reduced lifespan of the brakes.
2) Flush brake fluid regularly- If you reside in a region where rains are prominent, then you must know that moisture can cause internal corrosion. Brake fluid attracts water that can reduce the boiling point of the fluid; thereby lowering the brake’s performance. To prevent it from happening, you must change or flush your brake’s fluid regularly; otherwise, you will have to buy new brakes.
3) Keep the gap when you drive- Never keep less gap between the vehicles in front of you since you may end up driving and pressing the brakes harder if the front vehicle stops every time. Keep the maximum gap possible to drive smoothly and rest your brakes; otherwise, the brakes may witness some wear and tear if you keep pressing them harder and harder.
4) Try practicing coasting- Before I tell you to practice coasting, you must know the meaning of coasting. Coasting is the technique to slow down your vehicle by simply taking your foot off the gas pedal, naturally before applying the brakes. This technique helps you slow down your vehicle without making frequent use of brakes. This may release the pressure from the brakes every time you drive and can actually enhance their lifespan.
5) Try engine braking- Engine braking the technique of shifting down the gears that can lower the speed of your vehicle. This technique seems more effective for manual transmission cars. By turning the gear into the lower one can decelerate your car, relieving your brakes from the stress of continuously being pressed. It is useful when you are moving down of steep hill or winding down a mountainous area. Rather than pressing the pedal, try engine braking technique.