Once you’ve decided that you require a VPS, you’ll want to know the best VPS hosting provider. The performance and reliability of your VPS will depend upon the company you choose. That could mean the hosting provider with the best price, or the one with the best technical specs, or one that has the best reviews. Ideally, you would want a provider with a balance of all of these. if you want to buy a linux vps.
To make an informed decision about the perfect provider according to your requirements, here are some factors you must consider:
- The Environment; Managed/ Unmanaged: An important consideration is which OS (Operating System) is being used, Windows and Linux are two options. It is entirely your choice which OS you’re comfortable with.
Furthermore, for VPS hosting, someone needs to monitor its performance. So, do you have an IT team or person to help manage your VPS server? If not, then you may want to consider a VPS provider that gives a server management facility.
Managed hosting ensures that the company’s team members are abreast with the latest technologies and best practices. Whereas unmanaged hosting will rely upon the same to be performed by your team full-time.
- Redundancy and Scalability: How will your server backup data? In case of power failure or if your ISP is out of service or overloaded, a backup should be available. Does the hosting company have a failover plan to ensure your data is safely backed up outside a single server? Also, in case you require to scale up or if your business bandwidth changes, can your hosting company meet your changing needs? When your data is hosted on the cloud rather than on conventional servers, it tends to be more flexible and scalable.
- Security and performance: The performance of the hosting provider will depend upon a number a factor, namely server configuration, data center location, and if the provider has a BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) network blend. So before buying your VPS, be sure to ask your provider what network carriers are included in their network mix.
Is basic server offered by your service provider? For security concerns, a pen-testing will ensure a data breach does not occur. Also, research to find out if the hosting provider is a registered entity, apart from customer reviews. And not to forget what virtualization technology is the VPS based out of?
- Customer Support: Regardless of the level of efficiency and reliability of your service provider, there will be times when things go awry, and you will instantly support. For such times, customer support must be available 24/7. Without which, you may lose valuable uptime and business in the event that the problem is not fixed or attended to promptly. Therefore, it is best to thoroughly check your hosting company’s customer service through their website and customer reviews. Make sure the provider has a pro-active approach and is easy to speak to.
- Cost/Price: The cost may depend on your requirements and also whether you are opting for managed/ unmanaged service. It will also vary on the technology used, storage capacity, security, and resources being offered. However, affordability does play a big part in deciding the right hosting provider.
To sum it up, with the current trend of businesses being conducted online, an inability to scale digitally can affect your growth. Hence it is imperative you make the right choice when deciding on your VPS hosting provider.