The first step in applying for a permanent resident visa in Australia is to determine which type of visa you need and to decide on your application category. If you are from overseas, there are a number of visas available to you including the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa, the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa and the Skilled Regional Sponsored (subclass 489) visa. The Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa allows skilled workers and their families to live and work in Australia permanently if they have at least one year of experience in the relevant skilled occupation and meet other eligibility requirements.
If you are planning to apply for a permanent resident visa in Australia, it will be important to know exactly what the process entails so that you can make informed decisions about the best way to get your visa approved. Fortunately, we have put together this guide that takes you through the steps apply for permanent resident visa in Australia, from start to finish.
Table of Contents
1) Research the criteria
To be eligible for a permanent resident visa, you must:
- meet the health and character requirements;
- have a job or be sponsored by an employer in Australia;
- have enough money to support yourself and any dependents;
- usually be younger than 45 years of age;
- meet English language requirements (unless you are exempt); and
- comply with any other conditions that might apply to you.
- You can find more information on the Department of Home Affairs website.
2) Apply online
Visit the Department of Home Affairs website and create an account. Once you have an account, log in and begin the application process by selecting ‘Apply for a Visa’. Select ‘Create new application’ and enter your personal details.
Follow the prompts to complete the online form, including uploading any supporting documents. Pay the visa application fee and submit your application. The Department of Home Affairs will review your application and contact you if they require additional information or if your application is approved. Once your application is approved, you will receive your permanent resident visa electronically or by post.
3) Submit the application fee
You’ll need to submit the application fee along with your completed application form. The current fee is AUD $3,670. You can pay the fee online using a credit card, or you can request an invoice so you can pay by bank transfer.
If you’re paying by bank transfer, make sure you include the correct reference number so your payment can be processed correctly. Once your payment has been processed, you’ll receive an email confirmation within three business days. You can then check the status of your application online using your reference number.If you need help with your application or have any questions, you can contact the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC).
4) Attach all relevant documents
To apply for a permanent resident visa in Australia, you’ll need to:
- Lodge an expression of interest (EOI) online through Skill Select
- Receive an invitation from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)
- Complete and submit a Visa Application Charge
- Submit your application online or by post, including all relevant supporting documentation
- Attend an interview (if required)
- Wait for a decision on your application
5) Visit and lodge at an Australian Visa Application Centre
Go to the website of the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) that is responsible for your region. Select the type of visa you wish to apply for and download the relevant application form. Fill out the application form completely and accurately. Gather all of the required supporting documentation. Submit your completed application form, along with all required supporting documentation, at your nearest AVAC. Pay the required visa application fee. Attend an interview at the AVAC, if required