Planning for an upcoming house move during peak season? Then most probably during your trip, you will find a convoy of overloaded moving trucks, traffic jams, parking problems, and new neighbours moving in. However, it makes relocating experience far from fun as this period is very busy and hectic.
If you want to relocate during the busy season, read this article to know 5 moving tips for smooth transition against all odds:
1. Book Moving Company in Advance
Book a moving company in advance to avert the rush of people and to choose a moving date and rate as per your convenience.
Plus, moving professionals are efficient enough to perform arduous packing and moving tasks with perfection.
However, moving scams are prevalent during the peak season and there are chances that you may fall victim to such rogue movers.
Before hiring a moving company,
- Check the moving policies of the company
- Read the moving reviews and ratings to get an idea of the quality of services
- Request for moving quotes from different movers to compare their services
- Ask for possible discounts and insurance options
- Check online reputation and certifications before hiring.
2. Move during weekdays
During the peak season, weekends are considered ideal for moving. However, there are still some days that are less hectic than others.
If you want to save some energy and money on your house move, aim for a mid-week house move. Also, the moving rates are quite reasonable on weekdays than on weekends.
Not to mention, you may find traffic jams during the weekends on highways. It will only get exhausting for you and your family members.
3. Plan for kids & pets
Relocating during peak moving season is more hectic when there are rambunctious kids and pets around.
Kids and pets can easily get hurt while you’re frantically loading and moving things around. Also, they will feel ignored and kids may throw tantrums as well.
It’s better to keep them in a safer place away from all the chaos. Seek the help of your neighbours and friends if they can keep your kids occupied for some time.
4. Purge unwanted items
During a house move, you pay as per the weight of your items. And since you are relocating during a peak season, your expenses will show no mercy and you’ll be paying the highest rates.
So the best you can do is get rid of some old and unwanted items.
Some of the ways to purge unwanted items are:
- Donate or charity: Show some generosity towards others and donate stuff you no longer need such as old clothes or books.
- Host a garage sale: To lighten your load and to make some money, host a garage sale and display your items in a neat and classified way.
- Dump: The items that are in a very poor condition, can’t be repaired, or recycled, simply dump them.
Pro tip: Carefully look for hidden expenses.
5. Take care of the paperwork to avoid last-minute hassles
Another essential tip while moving during peak season is to take care of all the important paperwork. Collect and update all the necessary documents early enough to avoid last-minute problems.
Some of the tips:
- Update your correspondence address
- Clear all pending utility bills
- Cancel cable subscriptions
- Get your kids’ school records
- Set up all the utilities in your new home.
The bottom line
Moving is not an easy task and moving during peak season even makes it more arduous.
Follow these tips to make your peak season moving adventure safe and sane enough to start the new journey.