Water is the one commodity that cuts across all industries, from food and beverage companies to microelectronic manufacturers. However, as valuable as it is, water at its contaminated state (wastewater) is more of a nuisance than an asset in both residential and commercial properties. This includes toilet refuse, kitchen sink waste, rainwater drainage, and sewage discharge from companies.
As an entrepreneur, you’d want to ensure the comfort of your employees and customers by maintaining clean surroundings. Thus, you should devise methods to manage wastewater effectively.
This article discusses four such ways. Read on for a deeper insight on this matter.
1. Build A Wastewater Disposal System
If your business is at its initial stages, you might lack a proper way to get rid of your wastewater. On this account, it’s paramount that you build an onsite or off-site wastewater disposal system.
This process requires expert skills. Thus, you should contract the services of a water company that will provide you with the necessary team to design and construct your wastewater disposal facility.
2. Maintain Your Wastewater Disposal System
A wastewater disposal system typically consists of septic pipes and tanks, among other components that channel the wastewater from your business settings to a treatment site. For a seamless disposal process, you should ensure that these structures are functional and in good condition. For instance, you could use sewer cleaners to flush out fat, oil, and grease, or other substances that could lead to system blockage or failure.
You may also want to reduce the toxicity of your wastewater by treating it before discharging it to the ecosystem. For this, you should opt for human and environment-friendly treatment processes, like slow sand filters. Such processes let you operate in safe environments free of harmful chemicals. Thus, your business goes on as usual during wastewater treatment.
Alternatively, you may contract wastewater management services to make your treatment processes more effective and better for the environment. Some of the services and techniques used will include:
- Alkalinity and pH control
- Odor control
- Corrosion management
- Biogas management
- Caustic replacement
- Hydrogen sulfide sequestration
- Phosphorus removal
- Reduction in polymer usage
- Sludge compaction
Moreover, with a well-preserved disposal system, you’ll easily manage your wastewater without jeopardizing yourself, your colleagues, and the environment.
3. Implement The 3Rs Of Waste Management
One rule of thumb for resource sustainability is to execute the reduce, reuse, and recycle (3R) concept. So, how does implementing this rule help you manage wastewater?
- Reduce: When you minimize the amount of water you use for your business operations, the amount of wastewater produced will, subsequently, be lesser and easier to manage. Furthermore, this practice will also significantly reduce the rates of water bills.
- Reuse: For some applications, the water might remain in a state that allows for its reuse. For instance, if you’re operating a laundry business, you could channel the wastewater into containers and use it for cleaning your premises. This will also reduce the final effluent amount as you used the same water for two different purposes.
- Recycle: A treatment facility helps you rid the water of contamination and return it to your system for use. However, ensure that the water has undergone thorough purification before using it for processes like food production, of which products are for human consumption. Otherwise, if your treatment system doesn’t completely decontaminate the water, it’s best to use it for non-potable functions such as cooling machines.
4. Hire Wastewater Removal Companies
When your septic tank fills up, your best bet would be to contract wastewater disposal services. These may be your town’s utility service providers or privately owned companies.
The companies will bring a vacuum truck to your site to suck the sewage out of your septic tank and leave it empty for use for a few more years.
Wastewater management can be challenging if you lack the skills to do so effectively. Without a functional system, you would notice the decline in air quality around your business premises.
The methods discussed in this article can be costly, especially if you don’t properly plan for their execution. Therefore, it would be wise to include wastewater maintenance on your company’s budget list. When you contract professional wastewater services, go for reliable companies that have high trust ratings and are long known in the industry. They are sure to deliver high-quality services that will maintain your system for a long time.
Check out reputable and affordable wastewater management companies to offer you the services mentioned here. Enjoy a clean work environment thereafter.